Lube Technique

i do the coke bottle citrus cleanser technique.

Yeah, I don’t see why not.

I use just kero cause it’s about $4 a litre from Coles.

Yeah I’ve found that metho is pretty crap for oil and gunk.

Damn right… but some ginger ale usually gets rid of the roughness.

+1. Kero or Turps is great. And it doesn’t leave any residue.

not true horatio… you have to be careful to rinse your chain with water after cleaning with turps as there is residue left by both of the above.

this will affect any re-lubrication as it will attack the lube.

for that reason white spirit (or camp stove fuel) is often recommended over turps or kero. harder to find (ie its not at coles) but uiltimately its a simpler, more volatile liquid and leaves less residue to detract from your relubing.

Okay I didn’t know that.

But water leaves residue too- it’s called rust. :mrgreen:

White spirits is at Coles… I think. I know I was using that before I used Kero.

Serious chain cleaning …

First you need two open mouthed plastic drink bottles, the gatorade or wider mouth type.

The first is kero, the second simple green or similar degreaser. In-and-out of #1 then #2, with a shake and a soak in each for good measure. Use a spoke to hook it out. If you’re seriously serious - into the ultrasonic bath next, if not just straight on to hot water and dry.

Some time back there was an entertaining thread on oven drying, including speculation on microwaves but it seems to have gone, maybe someone remembers the settings … and the effects on the oven owner!

Then to serious lubing …

i never debated that it wasnt an alcohol and turps wasn’t used as a paint thinnner. I was just claiming that they work well…

I just started using Pedro’s Go Lube.

It’s made everything COMPLETELY silent. Awesome.

But I have only used it for a week.

I’ve had good results with Pedro’s Go! in the past, it’s one of my favourites in the workshop. Recently I’ve been using Bike Medicine’s Purple Extreme in conjunction with their Golden Degreaser. The lube smells like berries and the degreaser smells like barley sugar. Oh, and it works great too!

after reading this review in 2008 I tried it, and now a repeat purchaser.
Drop on each roller, leave overnight

Like all waxes, better for dry conditions

I use that orange cleaner stuff to clean the chain then either…

Diluted Pedro’s pro-j degreaser (once a month) then Rock n Roll Gold (weekly) ftw.

I’ve been using prolink lube. Its very good. the problem that I have is that every single ride, I have to wipe out the excess lube from my chainring that turn black. is that an indicator that I’ve applied too much?

Where can I get this rock ‘n’ roll gold lube?

I bought the blue for my mountain bike and will buy a gold when it runs out soon. Make my bike ninja silent.

Literally any bike store.

Purple Extreme and Squirt I think are quite a bit rarer. Where are you guys getting that?

Squirt dealers listed here