Miche x-press wheelset.

Hi, new to the forum and fixed gear bikes. I’ve riding one for a few months now into the city for work. I’ve just had a old Royce Union frame sandblasted and powder coated and put a sugino BB and sugino messenger cranks on. I’ve got some cheapo reid wheels on it at the moment so I can ride it but I’m after a better (and lighter) set. I’ve been looking at these on wiggle.

wiggle.com.au | Miche X-Press Road/Track Bike Wheels | Road Race Wheels

Has anyone had any experience with this wheelset? They will be going on a bike ill be using for the daily commute (24km round trip into town) and also for a bit of distance riding on the weekend. My budget is $200/$250. Love to hear any suggestions on other wheelsets too! My only request is that the wheels be black and that they can be run with a brake as I have a front brake on the bike. Sealed baring would be nice too.

Thanks in advance and if I’ve stuffed anything up please don’t keyboard bash my too much this is the first thread I’ve started.

Go nuts.

DT

get the pistard instead if you’re not running brakes.

Yeah I’m running a front brake on it. What’s that difference between the x-press and the pistard? Besides the braking surface?

X-press have sealed bearings, pistards do not. X-press make more sense for a road wheel although my hipster self would be wanting the pistards.

I’d say get the Pistards aswell if you’re running brakeless. I just ordered mine, Wiggle do a price match too so you can get the price down to $210 as the same wheelset is on PBK for that price. PM me if you want I’ll tell you how to do it.

Ok thanks. The bike will mainly be for the road. Is that the main benefit of the sealed baring? To stop shit from getting in there and no maintenance? Any other wheelset people might recommend?

The last set of pistard’s i saw had a MSW for brakes, it’s just anodized black like the rest of the rim. I’d buy them as well.

[b]

[/b]

Holy shit, how long since they taught basic comprehension in schools? Gonski can’t happen fast enough.

I totally missed that part… Ha ha.

Yes, you did. D-

They don’t though, maybe they were just a really old pair or something but mine came today. No sidewall at all.

Ordered them today. Will revive the tread when they get here and let everyone know how they are. They seem like the best bang for the buck at the moment.

They are really smart looking too. Make sure you order the sprocket/cog with them too, they don’t come with one. It will have to be a Miche sprocket too cos they use the carrier system which is pretty good. I assume you already figured that out though.

No hadn’t throughout of that at all. I was going to just use my surly 16t. It says the wheels come with a lockring tho. The Q&A section on wiggle says they will take standard track cogs tho. Guess ill find out when they arrive.

Yeah should be fine dude!

WILL be fine, those cog carrier systems are shit.

I’m using mine I got 16t, 17t and 18t they don’t seem too bad at the moment? Time will tell I suppose…

I used them once, the cogs were like butter in my experience. Wore out very quickly and developed play on the carrier with in a couple months. I hope yours hold up better than mine did. I can’t help but feel like the cog carrier system is the answer to a question no one ever asked.

Ahhh fook! Well if I feel like they wear out really quickly I’ll just buy surly cogs from then on. I think the carrier system is a pretty good idea though saves stripped threads, but obviously if there is any kind of play they can’t be that good.

I’ll post up if they are that shit to save people the time + money.

For me
Roselli or Dura Ace cogs if 1/8"
Surly for 3/32"