Million-dollar fines to put the brakes on bikes

I think adding an ‘e’ to the end of it would have really topped the piece of nicely.

fitzroyale

Or perhaps inner Melbourne’s funky fitzroyle, home of the cities intellectual cyliste laissez faire.

fuck i just read this whole article and it is so fucking idiotic, nonsensical and downright fuckwitted!

ACCC warned ‘‘pedestrians and other bike riders are … at risk of serious injury or death if someone riding a fixed-gear bike loses control and collides with them’’.

uuuuhhmmm, as opposed to being hit by an out-of-control freewheel bicycle/motorbike/car/4WD/light truck/bus/semitrailer/asteroid/etc???

Can we go there before Xiu Xiu?

i was sitting on the corner of swanston and collins today. there were 6 police in all manning every corner of the intersection. i waited for the green light and then sat at the lights again because i wanted to turn up collins. not ONE did or even said anything.
as far as i’m concerned this is all bullshit and will be gone once we start beating up foreigners again.

Ok p.m, and what were you expecting them to hassle you over?

not having a brake???
riding an illegal vehicle???
being fresh???

Man things are getting out of control…

Just move to Sydney… Its sunnier, all bike offences are $56 and the cops really have better things to do, and thieves steal shitty mountain bikes not ‘fixies’ and certainly not just the wheels or cranks

Also hills make you a stronger rider…

It’s questionable whether its illegal to ride a fixie brakeless, and there probably wasn’t much else they could ping you on, except maybe not having a bell? All of these things the ACCC are policing only apply to people selling bikes, not buying them. You’re free to remove brakes, reflectors, etc once you’re out the door of the shop.

totez! we can do a whole hipster tour on our brakeless fixies.
workers club, seven seeds, carlton club, smoke a cigarette and drink a beer out front of the grace darling, rosamond cafe, brother bubba, shifter bikes, alpha 60 to get some new cheap mondays, ride up brunswick street to see if we can get fined by constable farquharson and then to drink overpriced beer and see a pitchfork-approved band.
any other suggestions?

I don’t think so. At least in Victoria I think the road rules say that a bike must have at least one brake and that a brake must be a mechanical device. ie. legs are not brakes.

maybe try to squeeze 1000£ bend in there…

whats the big deal with not having a brake anyway

you dont have to use it if you dont want to

can still get the zen connection with the road if there is a brake attached

whats the big deal with not having a brake anyway
you dont have to use it if you dont want to
can still get the zen connection with the road if there is a brake attached

Ah, the sweet voice of reason.

I run a front brake on my fixed bike, and I use it (it makes me faster as I can brake later into corners). I understand that some riders don’t like to use a brake (zen connection, etc). But its dangerous out there (did you notice), and its good to have an emergency brake in case your legs can’t stop you in time, or if you drop your chain. There’s also Mr Plod to worry about. There’s also the damage that you can do to other people (as well as to yourself & your whip) if you stack it. The only reason I can think of for not running a front brake is aesthetic. The weight is negligible. If you’re only going brakeless because it looks hip, then that’s pretty bloody shallow.

welcome to the hipster puddle, yo!

I just received this email from interbike
“Interbike Enews - The Growth in the Urban/Fixie Category”

EDIT!! ITs kinda related…kinda…

[i]The Growth of the Urban Cycling Category

Urban cycling content especially written for this edition of the Interbike eNewsletter by Urban Velo Magazine

In the past few years urban cycling has seen an explosion in participation, catapulting the fixed gear bike from one seen rarely outside the velodrome to the generic bicycle featured in countless newspaper articles. Early on the scene was undoubtedly fueled by messenger culture and aesthetic, but has since grown beyond its insider roots and into the mainstream consciousness.

Truly a lifestyle market, the savvy shop can not only outfit riders with the latest in bike style, but with a significant part of their wardrobe as the casual nature of urban cycling apparel crosses over to everyday use. People are being turned onto bikes for the first time in countless numbers through the current fixed gear trend and upswing in urban cycling in general—serve their needs now and gain a loyal customer base that will grow their cycling obsession with your shop.

Emerging Urban Market Categories

Commuter
Fixed commuters are looking for the clean lines and simplicity of a single gear drivetrain, but with fender mounts, two brakes and perhaps a more upright position.

Street Track
Traditional track bikes rule this category, with tight clearances and a total lack of braze-ons typical. These are your local alleycat participants and non-racer fast guys, and tend to be influential in their parts choices.

Entry Level
Sub-$500 bikes that come with brakes and can go either fixed or free allow new riders to find their niche. As they put in the miles, these riders are likely to grow with the shop that steers them in the right direction when it comes to those first crucial upgrade purchases.

Boutique
These are finicky buyers where money seems to be no object, NJS stamps, vintage track components and molded 3- and 5-spoke wheels are just some of the things consumers are after.

Bike Polo - A Future Market?
Two of the largest sectors of the bicycle market, BMX and mountain bikes, wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for the ingenuity and enterprising spirit of ordinary cyclists who endeavored to create their own niche. In the past few years, hardcourt bicycle polo has grown in popularity to the point where tournaments attract players from thousands of miles away. It’s also begun to attract serious sponsorship, notably from companies like Knog and Brooks. And a handful of companies have begun to produce polo-specific parts, such as Velocity with their Chukker wheelset and Eighth Inch, who makes a polo mallet.

Urban and Fixie Influences
Blogs
The number one source for urban cycling information is online, and the most popular blogs serve as tastemakers for the new generation of young urban cyclists. The cream of the crop are Prolly is not Probably, Trackosaurus Rex and Hipster Nascar.

Videos
Like BMX and skateboarding, videos play a huge part in the progression and proliferation of new genres. Some of the most popular fixed gear freestyle videos include Macaframa, The Bootleg Sessions and No Cassettes.

Magazines
In addition to Urban Velo, there are a number of urban cycling magazines like Momentum from Canada, COG from Milwaukee, Fixé from France, Fixed from England and Pedal Speed from Japan.

The New Urban Lounge Will Feature Tunes and a Full Bar
New for 2010, make sure you swing by the new Urban Lounge, presented by Globe, at the show near the Fashion Show area in Hall D. Featuring a cool, urban vibe and style, the lounge will give you a place to meet with colleagues, relax and check out some of the latest in urban cycling designs. Setting the tone for the lounge will be DJ-spun tunes and a full bar serving coffee in the morning and cocktails in the afternoon.

On Wednesday and Thursday at 3:30pm, you can catch the Ready-To-Ride fashion show from the Urban Lounge. [/i]

‘‘You take (fixies) away from them, they start doing graffiti, they start taking drugs … At least they’re doing something physical and healthy.’’

Can’t wait to say this to the wife when she tries to veto my next build.

We just got profiled by the Man.

I’m sure I’ve said it here before but Mrs Commuter says “…well…at least you’re not spending it on gambling and whores…”

For Trade: 3 track bikes, plus parts. Will consider any kind of Rivendell or recumbent, plus SPD sandals.