Million-dollar fines to put the brakes on bikes

Puh-lease. MAP / Boxer / Weigle …

Although if you must rock the SPD sandals, how about a Brompton? The space frame version.

You’ll be wanting some zip ties to go with that

and a legionnaires hat to go under the helmet.

you really need to grow a proper beard blakey… it does your knowledge disservice not to have one. that and wearing long socks more… :wink:

You mean the Moulton?

My contempt was towards 'bents, those fine constructeurs only make ‘wedgies’ as bent-riders call them.

I just strap on a double redundant Audax approved beard as required.

Err, yes. I confused my British separable and folding marques. I blame last night’s late finish and the wizard casting his spell on me at the witching hour on Flinders St.

I don’t much like the idea of SPD sandals or legionaire caps for cycling, and the thought of magpie repelling cable ties leaves me cold ---- but the Rivendell Quickbeam looks pretty good (lugged CroMo frame, handbuilt in Japan with track ends) and the Moulton New Series Double Pylon (what a name!) looks downright awesome (see MOULTON Bicycle Company ).

You don’t have to buy into the whole ‘Yehuda Moon / woolen clothing / bicycle camping / street shoe wearing’ thing in order to ride a Rivendell. You don’t have to be a socks-with-sandals wearing mega-geek to ride a Moulton. You don’t have to be a hipster to ride fixed (thank God).

Is their room on your planet for one more? :stuck_out_tongue:

The JAMS: I have no idea where else to go… um, last time I was there I did go to a (terrible) Three Thousand party though.

you’re already more of a inner-Melbourne hipster than me!
actually i did go to the last party 3000 put on

Well I got in for free, drank free beer, watched terrible bands… then left when it became 6 deep around the bar and I got sick of people dressed as the internet. I was dressed up too though, as JLN’s Music Thread.

Jams you n00b, you forgot sister bella… no hipster tour is complete without getting abused by the staff there.

and JLN, there are enough decent bars to go to in the city without being too pompous. try cherry, hells kitchen?

I haven’t been to Cherry for years…! Same with Public Office.

Last time I was there we ony went to the Standard (I think it’s called?), Rob Roy and Labour in Vain.

They were decent enough.

the rob roy is now the newtown workers club, owned by the same dude who had St Jeromes. not a bad place, I don’t go there very often though.

when are you in town?

We’re (me and my girl) are over at the start of Steptember. I think the second and third?

time to rage then

aha, that’s the one i went to, got free entry, didn’t get free beer or see any bands. spent the evening on the balcony talking shit with friends who’re in one of those “shitty bands” :wink:

the Standard and Labour in Vain are good pubs. the workers club has become a parody of a hipster bar. there are actually more ppl trying to be hipsters there than there are actual hipsters. it’s a sociologist’s dream(/nightmare)

i always thought that the essence of hipster was that one was trying to be a hipster

ie there are no actual real hipsters, just people who want to be hipsters

this thread has gotten waaaaaay off topic

back on topic, my LBS was telling me how if you dont have a brake its a $200k fine, and you need to have 2!