Outdoor equipment - what should I get?

Just spent the last couple weeks under my quilt.

Coldest it got was about 5 looking back. On my exped synmat UL7m without it strapped on. I was toastie. Took a few goes to get practiced at ‘tucking in’ but far comfier for someone that sleeps like an octopus over my semi shaped bag. Bonus being I could spread under it and stay warm. Wriggle easily… But at the same time,be comfy on the 15-20c nights we had too.

I’d be very interested to try one in sub -5 temps. Definitely a convert for any temp above 0.

Good to hear Shakes. I just ordered a Long/Wide 30°F (-1°C) Revelation yesterday, so will be a while before I can use and review mine…

Awesome. You can clip and sinch the neck over your shoulders.

Made a big difference when it got cold.

My Enlightened Equipment Revelation Quilt arrived (Long - wide with 800fp HyperDry water resistant down) combined with a Klymit X Frame Recon mat. Combined weight is only 835g

Thoughts on the enlightened equipment bag?

My thought are that its a ridic light set up!! GoLite is gone, btw.

Haven’t tested it properly yet, but just looking over the quilt I must say I am quite impressed with the quality and weight for the price! Stuff sack is a little large (~4020cm) as I was able to compress it further to around 3015cm.

Hope to squeeze in my first overnighter before the end of the year, so will comment more then.

Still a little unsure about the Klymit mat. It is surprising comfortable (on my brief afternoon test) but was bought prior to deciding on a quilt. The spaces (loft pockets in advertising lingo) is so the bag loft isn’t squashed and provides the necessary insulation. With the quilt even closely joined, there is still a narrow gap where I won’t have down between my body and the ground. May have to upgrade to an insulated mat such as a Exped Synmat UL7 at some point if this doesn’t work well.

Have ordered a couple of EE Revelations. Excited. Also got an Exped Synmat UL7 S for Lauren. It’s ace. I’m jealous. My Neo Air is lighter though.

As soon as temps hit single digits or the ground gets damp. It’s amazing how much warmth it will suck out, You may be able to get creative with a natural underlay of leaves/bark etc?

Read a suggestion to use a space blanket under the mat to reflect heat so will try that first too.

Question: Are there any physical stores in Aus that are well priced and have gift certificate facilities for buying a good sleeping bag/tent?

Want the fam to provide some non-cash funds that I can use on some gear.

wildearth.com.au

Based up in QLD.

bogong or paddy pallin in melbourne?

+1 for bogong. Have a pretty great range when it comes to tents (and most things camping really)

anyone had any luck with washing a down sleeping bag? mine is filthy.

Not using a liner?

Think it is generally best to dry clean them.

nah, never got around to buying one. silly me. tag says not to dry clean…

^They usually come with washing instructions to wash in the bath, gently. But from all reports, the down is never quite the same after. I would check out how much somewhere like Remote Reapirs charge to do a professional clean.

They’re hard to clean. If it’s just surface grime you can wipe them down with a damp cloth and some soapy water (but don’t let the water soak in).

If the whole bag is damp and smelly (i.e. the filling is dirty) then there’s a special cleaning process when the filling is taken out and cleaned and then re-stuffed into the bag. I know One Planet do it in Melbourne for their bags, not sure if they offer it as a service for all bags. Might be best to google/ask Bogong.

tl;dr: Get an inner!

just empty a can of lynx into it.