P!n2arello

So ever since I got my Pinarello Montello a few years back I’ve wanted to restore it to its former glory. The 1984 Pinarello catalogue served as the guide as it included my frame:

As the bike came with an aluminium fork, my first task was to find an original Pinarello fork. It was a tough ask and I had almost given up when I had a generic steel fork installed. The very next day a fork came up for sale in Serbia of all places which I managed to purchase. The restoration could now begin.

Thanks to a work bonus, I got in touch with Steve at Sun Graphics to see what we could do. Before delivering it to him I stripped the frame of all components and sanded/rust converted/primed any hint of corrosion. Thankfully it was all fairly minor.

Steve had the frame and fork stripped, chromed, primed and painted with new decals and clear coat. I even produced two ‘maps’ for Steve to use which set out every decal and paint detail. This was the result:

Absolutely stoked with the result. The colour described in the '84 Pinarello catalogue was ‘midnight blue’, which looked in the catalogue as having a bit of green in it. Steve understood what I was aiming for and actually mixed in a bit of green pearl which shows up when the sun hits it.

Prior to painting I contacted Greg at Cyclomondo who did the decals to see if we could do a ‘MOD. MONTELLO 85’ top tube decal as per the catalogue image instead of the usual ‘MONTELLO’. Sure enough he had this on file - pays to ask the question!

Now that Chris at Pedal Cyclery has installed the fork and bottom bracket for me, the second part of the project can come to fruition - an Italian groupset.

that’s some real nice paint & chrome work
way to commit!

Looks outstanding Pinzo, very promising.

what’s on your mind for an Italian gruppo? Bet it starts with a C and ends with an O?

This is mad, so keen to see more.

Cambio rino?

Beautiful

no, a colnago gruppo

That paint so good, you were right to ignore me re. cable routing

Ends with an A if Gumtree is anything to go by: campagnolo | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds

Good

Eps or gtfo

love ya work mate.

Thanks for the tip Pinzo, one if these adds has the Conlago of my dreams.

waddabanger

Incredible. Looks so good.

soooo goooood!

Thanks all - hold your applause though, it’s not finished yet!

Damn, this is perf. Looking forward to the build up!

Paint colour choice strong. Looking forward to final result.

What a banger.