Pinzo's road bike build question and answer.

Elite ciussi inox are pretty

arundel stainless?

Just buy king cages from Brakefree. They’re the fucken best.

This they do some baller rose gold, bronze colour ones too or just go King

Ah sweet, didn’t realise Keith was bringing them in.

Yeah so back to cables…

I bought the cables Al recommended but the stepped ferrule that is pictured doesn’t actually come with the cable set:

So what I gather is there was once a Campagnolo CG-500 cable set which possibly had a stepped ferrule, which has since been superseded by CG-600 where they have done away with the stepped ferrule.

Does anyone have a stepped ferrule that would suit?

grumble grumble small parts grumble grumble

Cheers.

Ha. The other day I was at my LBS and the dude wanted to give me a stepped ferrule for my Ritchey. I declined cos I had another idea that I thought was better.

Anyways, cool story bro -------->>>> go to your LBS Pinzo, they have a special drawer full of the little buggers.

Dangit. Could have given you one the other day.

just stop by commuter on your way home, pinz0

seconded. for what you are doing they will almost certainly have the small parts

^^ Thanks all.

You should swing by your LBS to pick those up on your way home. Do you go anywhere near Commuter?

^ Yeah, but I need to grow my beard out before I front up.

and an orange bike.

Stop trying to be Scott.

Alright, so Commuter sorted me out with a stepped ferrule. Sweet. It’s not the best fit - bit loose - but I’m thinking that doesn’t matter too much as there will be a cable housing pushing against it and a tensioned cable running through it, does that sound right?

I’m still a bit confused about where to put the ferrules, the ferrules that came with the cables (x4) only fit the shift housings, not the brake housings, so I’m guessing the brake housings don’t need any ferrules (lucky that my bike has continuous housings.) So that leaves two ferrules for the downtube cable adjusters and one for the RD cable adjuster…and a spare? I know my mid-80’s frame wasn’t at the forefront of Campy’s mind when they were putting stuff in the box, but I can’t work out where the other one is meant to go. Should there be ferrules in the shifters? If so, I’m gonna be one short.

If you say ferrules too much it loses all meaning.

Never in my life have I thought about ferrules this much.

^ I know, right? I did warn you…

This is probably not the correct way of doing stuff, but I’ve always just checked to see if the cable outers fit into the stops without ferrules: if they’re a snug fit without ferrule then forego ferrule use. If they’re super loose and have a ferrule that corrects the super-looseness then use it.
With gear cables I err on the side of caution: if a ferrule fits I use it.
But I pretty much know nothing about this.