Pinzo's road bike build question and answer.

^ Sounds fair, thanks.

I know I’m way over-thinking this.

This is my approach too. If it looks like a ferrule will make a better cable run and fits well, I’ll use a ferrule.

My 2c on ferrules. I try to always use them, and have gone looking for the right ferrules at the LBS when I don’t have the proper sized ones. I know nothing about this, but ferrules just feel right. I suppose they are there to protect housing from fraying/getting damaged, and to make good contact with the cable stops so cable routing is good.

The thing if you don’t use ferrules is that you cable cuts should be good. I don’t have the gear to make a good cut (an electric grinder and good cable cutters, not the crap Park that I have), so I do my best cut, file it as best as I can, and stick a ferrule in there. Even if my cable is not cut super nicely, I know that the ferrule is there to make good contact with the cable stop, so cable routing is as good as it can be.

And if they fit, I put ferrules in the shifters too.

Yeah, I’ve had some shifters that require ferrules. Can’t remember which ones though, maybe tiagra 9sp?

‘Ferrule’ reminds me of this guy

//youtu.be/zQXlW0GzlD4

i’ve got a bunch of spare ferrules you can go thru to find/complete your set.

Any recommendations for 8 speed chains? KMC? Wipperman? Anything else?

Wippermann all the way. Like the 808

you end up going king cages?

these are pretty

^ They are nice, but yeah, went the King Cages.

And can we have some info on this ‘road bike cycle build’?
ya know, like the what/when/why/how sort of thing

(saw 2 red Pinarellos in previous pages though)

^ Oh man, it’s so close to being ‘finished’. I thought the chain I had was 8 speed, turns out it was 9 speed, so I had to turn around and order one. Now that it has landed a whole lot of life stuff has taken precedence, but I should be able to find some time this weekend. All I’ve got to do is install the chain, adjust the front and rear mechs and take it for a test ride.

I knew you weren’t going to disapoinz.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but a 9sp chain would’ve been fine.

^ Yeah I know, and I nearly ran with it, even put it on, then I just thought fuck it, I’ll get a new one.

Hi. So my right hand 8 speed Ergopower lever doesn’t want to hold the index position…if that makes sense. So when I shift up a notch the ratchet doesn’t hold and it just goes back to the previous position. Seems to be okay for the first shift or two, but then it’s like the tension of the cable is too much for it. Having said all that, I can get all the way up to the big sprocket, but it’s hit and miss on the way.

When I was adjusting the gears, I noticed when I pulled the cable by hand to get up to the next sprocket, the lever ratchet just let go and went back to position #1. That’s not right is it?

So whaddaya think? Lever rebuild? Replacement?

Glad I taped the bars before I discovered this… #APBM

G-spring - if I read your description correctly. Can be replaced without untaping. I need to do one too. Asher said he’d get me some. Maybe he can get a few more and we can do them together around the kitchen table drinking beer and talking about the Good Old Days.

FTFMe - id be there just for the chat.

Oh yeah, I’ve got heaps of g-strings.

Sounds like a good old G-string party is in order.