Post Your CX ride

Seeing as everyone’s going CX crazy with good reason. Finally picked this up after the good folk at Commuter Cycles got the Athena shifters working.

Surly Cross Check (XL)
90s Athena 8 speed gruppo (Thanks Manbau!)
Croce D’Aune cranks
Brooks Pro
Tektro Interrupters
Open pro rear, Deep v front

Keen to see everyone else’s

This thread could use some help.

This is the fourth different setup I’ve had on this frame since I bought it in April (although the first setup probably doesn’t count because it was 9sp Tiagra that I stripped off as soon as I bought the bike. Since then it’s been a singlespeed with a WI ENO, then singlespeed with a Forward Components EBB & Mavic Cosmic Carbones.

Now it’s Sram Rival with Easton EA70 wheels. Thanks JP and thanks Chain Reaction!

It had it’s maiden voyage this morning and so far I’m very impressed with the Sram. It’s everything I like about Campag Ergo and I think the double tap lever action is better. And 34/27 is a damn low gear.

If anyone’s considering EA70 wheels, go for it. For ~AUD460 I reckon they’re great. They’re pretty light and they have sealed cartridge bearings. But they don’t come with rim tape and the stock skewers are shit.

The whole bike, as pictured, weighs in at 8.5kg which is a lot lighter than I was expecting, considering that it doesn’t really have any particularly light parts. Should ride pretty well with 23mm slicks too. Hopefully I can avoid rebuilding a roadie.

Total cost for this one is around $1600, including new wheels.

my cx beauty, too bad i sold it to a girl.
this is it set up for 3/4 a century (thats 120km for you aussies).
and yes, that is cement on the tires. some yoohoo rode thru wet sidewalk and i thought i would ride it off over a few hundred km.

CX bikes can be great all-rounders. Nice low gearing, slack angles, make great commuter or touring bikes.

this is my not-very practical CX bike. Great fun, and real fast though. 34/15 fixed. 8.25 kg.

• Joel

New shoes?

Voodoo Wazoo One. Sliding dropouts, White Industries / Velocity Razor wheels, Tektro CR720 brakes, 105 ext bb cranks, 39:16, big downtube dent.

Photoset on flickr

Plenty of clearance for fatties / mud. 35mm Ritchey Excavaders here.

Was busy getting dirty today.

my schwinn cx…

those are awesome bikes. 9 speed in this day and age - magic!

• Joel

This is my new rig

hasn’t seen any trails yet, keen to get it dirty this weekend.

On One ‘il pompino’ XL frame and fork
FSA Gossamer Cranks
FSA 39t Chainring
KMC chain
Gippieme Tecno416 wheelset run SS with 16t cog
Maxxis Locust tyres 32mm
FSA Gossamer Bars 44cm
Soma Long Black Levers
Cannondale C2 100mm stem
FSA Gap zero setback post
Generic BMX seatclamp
Prologo Saddle
Tektro Oryx Cantis on loan from Blakey… will probably get some Tektro cr720’s
Shimano M540 pedals for the moment until I figure out what I should run

I figure this is a pretty good setup whilst i get myself out of debt and then i’ll start upgrading to some lighter components… forks, wheels, etc…

Awesome! Looks tough as hell.

Got a Pomp myself. Set up for road atm. Has been ridden off road.
I went with v’s instead of canti’s. How’s everyone experience with setting up canti’s these days? Have they got any easier? Do they still shudder and squeal? Is toe in still important?
Now that discs are UCI approved, have v-brakes been approved?

Sorry for the blurry pic.

Mine do both, get used to it after a while

oh hai!
meant to dig some shots of my bike out…
riding trails in winter means this

due to your bike looking like this

basso touring/cx frame
dt swiss wheels (340s to r1.1s)
tektro cr720s (which have now hosted a variety of kool stop pad combos)
campy chorus 10spd/aero post
n-gear jump stop
vittoria xg pros/wtb cross wolfs
ttt bars
itm stem
fizik seat
elite bidon cage
time atac pedals
and a whole lot of good times…

to my knowledge v-brakes were always legal - clearance issues prevented them from regular appearances in pro races.
shudder and squeal are solved through set-up, toe-in and lower hanger heights help with shudder a lot (even better are the new forks with built in hangers).

the newer and better brakes have really easy toe-in adjustment so squeal should be something of the past.

so in summary they still exist, but the options for solving them have increased a lot.

Part #CAH59 / 1272AF is a fork crown mounted cable hanger. Not available in Oz AFAIK. I have one on the Travesty. Helps reduce fork judder.

To avoid hurting nikcee’s delicate eyes, here’s one on a different bike:

I can vouch for these - I’ve run one on my Crosscheck w/Shorty 4’s and Kool Stops and they’ve never ever made a squeak. I got it online.

Amazon.com: Tektro Brake Cable Housing Stop, Front 1272AF Silver: Sports & Outdoors

Cool, I like the look of most canti’s, just have nightmares regarding setup on early MTB’s. V’s solved alot of issues, just not clearance.
I do like the look of Paul’s Components canti’s.
Paul Component Engineering - Neo-Retro

That’s a reseller link to Niagra Cycle, better to contact them or another store that sources from QBP directly.

I’m seeing double!