Primate Road Bike

This is my Primate roadie, built by Tarn at Primate Frames in Wollongong. It’s a present to myself for not dying of cancer last year, and will be my last new bike in quite some time.
I had a frame fit with Steve Hogg, who is a bit of a wackjob, but got the geometry so spot-on it’s not funny.
What I wanted from this whole process was a road bike with enough clearance for 28s and guards, and to suit all day rides of 100+kms. I reckon Steve and Tarn pretty much nailed it.
It’s a mix of lightweight tubing, with s-bend stays for rear tyre clearance. All filet-brazed. Llewellyn cable stops and water bottle bosses. Custom brake- and chainstay bridges.
Paint is by Star Enamellers.
Assembly by Tarn.

Parts list:
Groupset: Ultegra 6700 compact group + Tektro medium reach brakes
Wheels: Circus Monkey hubs, DT Swiss competition spokes, DT Swiss RR1.1 rims, built by Tom at Hell on Wheels.
Tyres: Challenge Parigi-Roubaix clincher, 27c
Stem & bars: FSA slk & wing compact
Saddle & seatpost: Brooks Swift & Thomson
Headset: Chris King sotto voce
Guards: Velo Orange hammered

The only change I plan to make is the brakes: I’ve got some Paul Racer Medium centrepulls that will take some cajoling to work, but SHOULD work.

I’m incredibly happy with this bike. The day after I picked it up I did 100km of hills with no dramas, it fit like a glove. I can’t speak highly enough of Tarn’s workmanship, it’s pretty much flawless.

What a beaut.

Nice one

looks purty jono.

That’s a damn classy bike right there. Really really nice!

It’s nice to see a fully custom built bike that someone has put many hours of thought and months of work into inspiring such worthwhile responses. I guess if you can’t just click like, shit gets pretty difficult.

This bike is absolutely wonderful, but you already know that. I’m glad it turned out to be worth the wait and you’re happier than Larry. One of the few things that puts me off spending time and money on an expensive bike is the worry that I will still be disappointed with it, but I am super psyched that it turned out this way for you.
Hopefully you get to ride it a lot more than your impending circumstances dictate.

I haven’t quite finished the sonnet that I am writing about the bike

it’s nice, KE

x

Mate, that’s beautiful, glad to hear you are wrapped with it!

Very intrigued by the rear brake bridge and how it will hold up over time/affect braking performance… not that I doubt Tarn’s workmanship, it’s just that I’ve never seen anything like that before other than for cable hangers. Hopefully it’s all gravy, a nice and very unique detail none-the-less.

EDIT - in the image below I had a ‘boys look’ and thought the brake bridge only reached halfway between seatstays to mount the brake caliper/fender mount… but that was just the lighting in the image that threw me off, sorry, carry on…

Beautiul work as always.

i thought the same

I’ve got some raw steel pics I’ll put up when I can be arsed, you can see the amount of work that’s gone into all the fittings.
Thanks for the nice words kids, it was a pretty long road but it all came together very nicely indeed.

Kept this one quiet didn’t you! Looks amazing, really happy for you, hope you enjoy riding the hell out of it.
I would agree a good amount of seatpost showing, therefore good fit!

Oh yeah and 6700… The mans got taste.

Btw I’ve never asked this before but who and what is your avatar??

Rad Jono. Glad it’s turned out better than you expected.

Any flats on the Challenges yet?

Have heard rumblings that the front CM hubs have undersized bearings, be interested to hear how they hold up over time.

And get a front guard support!

looks great! i love the hammered guards.

nice one! currently fantasising about a roadie that would take fatter tyres and full guards.
good to see you got to spend a little something on yourself before the young’un comes along.
and for the love of god, don’t slam that stem.

Jono that is truly cool. Hope you enjoy the fucking hell out of it.

Oh and before you ditch the tektro brakes try Dura Ace 7900 pads. Will fit straight into the exsisting holders. Did this on my Salsa (same brakes) and the difference it makes is astonishing (read: feels like a different set of brakes). Endrosed and reconmended by friendly bike mechainic and all round nice guy Jarod.

such an awesome bike, congratulations. one problem i had with the tektros (would be the same with any sidepull brake) was the rattling of the front fender hitting the underside of the caliper from only having the one eyelet. the racer mediums made such a difference, clearance- and stopping-wise. i’m also glad there’s no slammed stem, would you use a headset cable hanger or fork mounted?

Great looker and very happy for you :wink:

Holla if you’re having trouble with the brakes … I’ve got lots of options that you can try/test and whilst I agree with trying better pads, centrepulls make for easy power, modulation and plenty clearance.

fucking perfect,
ive been thinking for a while now if i ever get a custom frame made it would be built around the very same ideas as this, more of a randonneur than a cx or road bike.
enjoy