Ralpha Super Cross in Sydney Park - 16 Nov

It’s just poor form from a company that makes their money off cyclists and are piggybacking on the hard work of others. Without DDCX, there would be no cyclocross in Australia.

I won’t be buying Rapha again… fuck em! They can stick their hype up their merino padded arses.

What about Matty Bowen?! We all know cross exploded cos of his Psycho X cross race all those years ago! it’s an outrage he isn’t recognised as the King of Cross!

edit: i think his mailing address is somewhere in thailand…

he gets plenty of recognition, both on the internet and during commentary. in fact, at the national champs i spoke at length about this very fact.

I want Rapha to recognise it though!

well i tell you what. you keep at them about that, and the rest of us will just be happy to see the bullshit about ‘CX in australia lacking atmosphere’ taken down.

Two pronged attack. I like that.

I recognised it in my History of Australian Cyclocross. CX Magazine, Oct 2013. I can’t believe you haven’t read it.
In the end, for me, it’s about good CX racing. People should buy Rapha if they like it (lots of their stuff is ace like their jackets & arm warmers) and we should all get together and sing ‘We are the World’.

So he plays first grade football and started cx?

yes!

@ brendan

I have organised events, (non cycling) which some people have not had the best things to say about. I couldn’t care less. certainly wouldn’t start complaining about it.
Like I said, I would make my next one better. Considering all your events have been better, just keep on doing what your doing for the reasons you were already doing it.

I have also volunteered at all the spokespeople’s events this year and love helping out the guys that do the hard yards for these type of things.

Surely the more people out there riding cx events the better. Just marketing for their event, no big thang.

that’s why it’s important to not talk others down, don’t you think? if you go around telling everyone that other cx events are boring, that doesn’t make them wanna ride those events. they just make people wanna ride the ones you’re organizing. that’s what pikey from rapha is trying to do here. you can stand by that if you wanna, but don’t pretend that you’re trying to build community when you’re doing so.

got a copy? i wanna read it.

Ok, I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed nor do I have the time or comprehension skills to take in all the back story and understand what all of you are griping about. Now I do, and I can understand why you guys are peeved and why there seems to be bad blood. It’s not a cool thing to say … where is this from and what context is this mentioned?

Maybe it’s not a slight, maybe the words chosen weren’t thought out or poorly considered? I do it all the time, lacking the wherewithal and foresight to understand how some of the things I may have said don’t come across as I have meant them (or can be taken the wrong way - remember Bert Newton with Muhamed Ali?). In any case I (now) understand why the hoopla and what the gripe is.

What now?

I’m not a mediator but I like you guys a lot and think you’ve done nothing but ace things. I also know or have met some of the people at the Sydney Rapha store and like them too and know they’re good eggs. I also feel that any event in Sydney is sorely needed. I don’t know who said the above or where it’s from but I don’t mind bringing it up in person, pointing out how it’s put you guys offside and seeing if we can put this right so all are happy and people are focused on being idiots in bikes again.

I say all this because I hate seeing good people argue with good people and I’ve always truly believed that all cyclists are family.

I also write because I’m asking if there’s more to this than what we see here? Wasn’t Rapha a sponsor of DDCX events? Did something go wrong or is Rapha staging their own event conflicting in some way? I understand they’re a business and DDCX is largely made up of volunteers and from the community - but I feel we need both. As long as people are racing, more people are attending I think it’s all for the greater good.

I just find it sad for all to read and also see you guys upset. Maybe there’s a way to clear things up.

this could well be the case. if it is, they won’t think twice about taking it down. then we’ll all be happy little vegemites again. and that’d be good, because i love vegemite. not with cheese though. or anything else. don’t even get me started on those people who maintain that vegemite and lettuce is an excellent combination. they’re worse than marketing people who need to trash on everything that has come before in order to make themselves sound good.

Well… see there’s a problem there, in that Vegemite came along after Marmite. I don’t think they trash talked them though.

There’s heaps of ‘party’ at Brisbane CX days, a bunch of guys even got fined for taking hand ups… not so party

Vegemite and eggs on toast. #notvegan but.

#yeastbasedspreadthreadinvasion

…truly needed words, thanks for that.

in this conceit, matty bowen is marmite.