Retro MTB thread

Faaaaark yes. I do think its funny that all the cool LA kids are klunking - considering klunkers are such pieces of shit to ride, I mean really. MTBs have come a long way. That said a nice light rigid 26" like JP’s old Timberline are a blast to rip around on.

Check out this for an (pretty cool) anachronistic build:

Whhaaa?!
@ultraromance on the 'gram

Floody, depends on why you are building your older MTB up. I got that ritchey together sindlespeed for maybe $800 and it weighed 8kg. I rode it as hard as I could, crashed it a lot and even won some races on it! the fact that it was old and rare wasnt as important as it being a bike that was designed to be ridden fast and rigid and it was (relatively) cheap.

Along the same lines, I ride SS because I think in a lot of situations (especially if you cant train heaps) SS is faster, not beacuse I feel more connected to the dirt, the earth and god.

That gnar dude on the POS with skidding is making me chuck

Eh fair enough. Just not my thing, I figure in for a penny, in for a pound with the exception of some consumables I like my retro retro.

Hey guys, building this up at the moment. Will have full XTR M950.

Also riding a 1996 Kona Kilauea

we also just started a facebook group of your into that kind of thing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/274542536058422/

Kona dually should be interesting, they did ride quite nicely with Z1 Bombers. I remember a mate had one when new and folded the top and downtubes like coke cans landing off a drop, ha ha.

Love that Kore stem! Any better pics of that bike?

Here’s my first mtb circa 1994 it was a cheapie but I still had fun on it.

I have some on my camera but here is one.

I am about to strip the parts over to a 1998 GT Zaskar LE. The Kona frame is a bit small. Fun bike to ride and I have the original Project 2 Rigid forks as well. So may end up restoring it at some point.

Not truly retro but that’s the bike I left behind and thats the bike I probably miss the most.

I was just thinking won’t that Kona will feel a bit spooky if you jump it, best as I can tell the pedals will move up and back and the front wheel will compress up and forward then back in again? BITD I definitely thought the Girvin fork felt pretty weird on it’s own, aaaand the Kona S.E.X. urt bikes felt pretty weird on big hits.

I wanted one of those, though even now would have no idea what to do with it. They were dead sexy, still a good looking rig

At the rideable stage now, though trying to get some new (m900) brake pads as the front ones are unevenly worn, and the dirty old turbo saddle is just a placeholder as is the M570 LX/Rhynolite wheelset (refurbished white super turbo saddle and m900/araya wheels on the way respectively).

At the rideable stage now, though trying to get some new (m900) brake pads as the front ones are unevenly worn, and the dirty old turbo saddle is just a placeholder as is the M570 LX/Rhynolite wheelset (refurbished white super turbo saddle and m900/araya wheels on the way respectively).

Ibis Custom 1987/88 by Black Mountain Cycles, on Flickr

Sorry floody, missed this- WOW THIS IS AMAZING!

That Goose should be enterered in the boty.

Mike, that Ibis is amazing.

Instagram photo by @contranaturam | Iconosquare

Helped a workmate up pack and assemble this today. Cannondale F2000 - With XT/XTR and CODA components. Missing are the original rear wheel, seatpost, saddle. Needs to be recabled and a new big ring but otherwise its all good. Classy bike (very light for the vintage). Could do a lot worse for $150.

Cheers H and \S/legs, I dunno about BOTY…needs a few detail improvements yet!

CODA cranks! still on my to-find list of vintage parts - although have no cannondales to put them on.

• Joel