Strava-holes

Stay in school, kids.

Strava is a great way to track your progress and performance. I like the way you can add equipment in too so it tracks the number of kms different bits on your bike have done…
Very useful with chains, cassettes and consumables such at brake pads…
Plus once you wana sell something like your cranks of brakes you don’t have to guess how many kms they have done…

Strava rules… But round here haters will hate.

Dumb question but if you don’t have a Garmin you need to use something like an iphone to use Strava, right? I’ve tried mapmyride on the iphone which is fine but the biggest problem is that the battery never lasts very long.

I use Strava on my iPhone. It died on a whole day ride, but it’s been fine every other time.

I like the idea of Strava-ing every ride. I might try and do it, see how much I actually ride.

I found maymyride on iPhone a battery hog too. I now use on Strava on android, so comparison isn’t very valid, but for what it’s worth I find it only uses 20-25% after 3-4 hours.

You can put your ifone in airplane mode and just log the strava GPS… Then turn it back on to normal at the end to upload and all…
This will save the shit outa your battery life

This! Although it’s impossible for me to really get any KOM’s because there are a lot of dudes fitter/faster than me!

I did bag a KOM on a 3.5km descent though which was pretty cool. But that’s all i’m good at. Aside from whipskidz.

PR’s are an awesome indication of progress though!!! My next stop is a HR monitor so I can start burning some fat!

I think it’s a bit of a waste of time. If a segment is flagged then the leaderboard is removed (well actually, its just not visible). So then you just create another segment to replace it. Strava doesn’t prevent new segments being created even if they’re the same as other flagged segments.

The problem isn’t that segments are inherently dangerous. Like anywhere you ride, some places are more dangerous at certain times of the day. The problem is that some people have poor judgment.

I think probably everybody I know on Strava and who I’ve talked to about it, aren’t interested in their position on leaderboards, they’re interested in how they’re own performance is improving compared to previous rides. I can’t think of anybody I know who takes the leaderboards that seriously.

I think it’s a great motivational tool. It encourages me to ride more and that’s a good thing.

Agree on most of the previous points. I use it for training. Love seeing PR’s.
One of the best things is being able to see your previous results (leader board style) for particular climbs or loops - that way you can see yourself getting better (or worse) over time.

The only leader boards I care about are actual climbs or decent loops (and the red rooster sprint!), nothing like, “Jim’s sprint point” and the rubbish tiny climbs.

I love Strava as a motivational tool between me and my mates. Who hasn’t ridden today.

One aspect of my riding that I think it is affecting is in achieving PR’s, particularly on dirt. Typically I ride with a mate, we go for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, mostly non stop. Literally a few seconds here and there, and its great, but recently I have been riding with someone less fit than me and have found myself waiting at the end of most trails.

Because of this smash, rest, smash, rest style of riding I have destroyed most of my PB’s which were set on my non stop rides. I almost need a couple of different Strava accounts for the different styles of riding to keep the PB’s relevant for that particular ride.

There is also VeloViewer - VeloViewer - Your Strava Dashboard!

Basically pulls the data from Strava and displays it in other ways.

Yep, I use this as well. Good for analysis and your own history over segments.

ooooooooooooooh. Something else to fritter away my day on.

And…aside from the whole performance thing, which isn’t everybody’s cup of tea, Strava is great for checking out new places to ride.

Mckenny once showed me a great short cut and he doesn’t even realise it.

So what is everyone using- a Garmin?

I used to use iphone, now garmin 500 w cadence & HR, goes good

love PRs :slight_smile:

i have a garmin edge 800 and an edge 200 for use while my 800 is being replaced under warranty, i’m onto my 4th unit at the moment

Garmin 810 and 510 have just been released and the main advantage is bluetooth to your smart phone for live updates to strava.
Though…Android and iphone apps do similar already.
Me I just use a Garmin Edge 200 and look forward to the news once I am home and it’s downloaded.

ftfy