The Coffee Thread

Coffee grinder recommendation: sunbeam cafe series grinder as per the picture above.

They aren’t exactly cheap though - around $200 from myer from memory. However they do an excellent job and give a ‘lifetime’ of satisfaction.

SW

^anything much less than $200 will be poor quality and wont last long.

Rancillio Rocky is the next step up at around $400

Or for commercial quality in compact size, the Mazzer Mini at around $750, like EzyLee has at work in previous post…

My office has a $750.00 De Longhi automated contraption- even with Seven Seeds beans it still makes a crap cup. I just go to the cafe downstairs- about 1000x better.

Yup, my folks in laws have a 2.5k fully auto. Rubbish coffee.

What are your thoughts on a hand grinder?

Krups or some other rip-off brand? :roll:
Automated coffee machines are one of the most overrated devices.

I agree with Stu, I’ve heard many good noises from serious coffeenuts about the EMO480 (?) and similar Sunbeam grinders, they have Italian conical burrs.

Fresh quality coffee, ground just before brewing and any of (french press / aeropress / siphon / pourover / espresso / stovetop) will produce excellent coffee.

I’m not too sure, I didn’t take too much notice of it. It’s a waste of space.

Yup the one Blakey refers to is the one I have. EM0840. It was recommended by the barista I go to downstairs from work.

Fresh beans fresh beans fresh beans - and good grinder = good coffee.

My theory on why many cafes around town produce mediochre coffee is that they leave the beans sitting around either in big bags or the grinders for too long and the coffee ends up tasting pissweak or stale.

AmIrite Coffee Ben??

Stu

^are you going to sell coffee in the trading area?

you now have 24 more posts to make.

they’re around. the old ones can get pretty expensive depending on their condition. you want to get the bon trading co model. the shop is still around at the top of oxford street too & they’re now selling parts on ebay which is handy. The old lady in there is hilarious. they’re still sought after because aside from being a classic design they do make great coffee.
Ebay is probably the best place for them. I built one of mine up from old parts which can be a cheaper way of putting one together. they sell a lot cheaper with missing parts and these are relatively easy to get.
If you’re going to froth milk in an atomic through it needs regular cleaning and the seals need to be good.
As far as the new ones go the one I saw in a shop on Elizabeth street in melbourne wasn’t manufactured in italy and seemed cheaply made.
I don’t think
they market the new ones under the ‘atomic espresso’ name either. I could be wrong

I don’t drink coffee, never have, except this…

I know you purists will laugh, but fuck, I need this to live.

That’s my contribution. Sorry.

At least it’s not decaff.

Rancilio Silvia and Rocky Grinder - have one with the mrs everyday before work

Hand grinder is better than no grinder, but will only really be suitable for plunger and maybe siphon because it produces a coarse and inconsistent grind. It will give you a good arm workout though.

Yup you’re on the money Stu, poor handling of coffee is one of the main mistakes that many cafes make. The beans need to be stored in an airtight container, and a cool dark place (not the fridge), only placing into the ginder the amount needed for the next few hours. Then the beans should be ground on demand, freshly ground for every cup, because once it has been ground the coffee becomes even more sensitive and is oxidising and going stale within minutes. Many cafes let their grinder fill with ground coffee because then it is easier and quicker to dose the coffee basket but by doing that they sacrifice freshness, flavour and crema. Watch baristas in places like BBB and Seven Seeds, they will turn the grinder on and click away for every coffee, its slower but worth the extra time.

My office has gone through three of these Saeco automatic shitters in about 2 years.

Pain in the arse machine, nasty coffee and just not up to the workload.

Now we have one of these Gimas jobbies:

also a PITA to use and purists will scoff at pods but a pretty decent cup.

I’m a big rap for my little Krups pump that the missus got on frequent flyer points. It takes a pounding at my house and there’s an art to a decent cup but paired with a sunbeam conical we like it.

Not all hand grinders are rubbish. If you don’t mind about a minute of grinding, a Kyocera ceramic grinder might be what you’re after. They’re discussed here - there is even a youtube vid of one in action grinding coffee for a Rancilio Silvia. ou can get them from the guy at Coffeesnobs (in that forum thread link), who also sells the aeropress, or save a bit of coin and buy them from [ur=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170396906119&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT]ebay

^Yeah i’ve heard they’re not too bad for a handjob, personally i think its worth the extra $120 to get the sunbeam em0480 and not have to crank that thing everyday, guess it depends how much coffee you drink and how much you’re willing to spend though.

That hand grinder could do the job as I only have coffee at home on the weekend as I use the coffee machine at work all other times.

So what are peoples thoughts on heading to the local supermarket where they have a range of local roasted beans and an industrial grinder. I guess the downside there is you don’t know how long the beans have been sitting there for.

I will take a pic of the range next time I am due for some beans.

Step away from the supermarket!!!

As you were pondering: How fresh are those beans… really? If you have the choice, go to a local roaster and buy their beans. But be careful, some are rip-offs. ie: Jasper sell coffee at ~$50 per kilo which is the same stuff that Coffee Company sell for ~$26-$30 per kilo.

I used pre-ground beans for 6 years (because I didn’t have a grinder) and I’ve just bought a proper grinder - I cannot stress enough that you should always grind your own beans where possible. The coffee you make will be that much better for it.

I’m buying one to be my secondary decaf grinder and to travel with. A Kyocera + an Aeropress = good coffee anywhere.