the Geelong project

Vittoria Pave 24c is the old model, which is a classic.
Pave 25c and 27c is the new models which are meant to be great too. I have read on Velocipede Salon that many people say the 27c model is a bit dull and slow.

Only a couple of ppl have said they’re slow, and the rest were liking them. FWIW, I reckon too few people are riding the 27s to get a fair consensus on them. I might give them a go once I can figure out if they’re actually good, or kinda slow as a couple of people suggest.
I’m also keen to try Grand Bois, but I’ve still got some life in my Challenge Parigi-Roubaixs, and you can still get these for around $100 a pair on Evans.

Edit: you kinda gotta be careful with reviews on V-salon: there’s a lot of groupthink going on over there, and you’ll also get guys who ride high-quality tubs poo-pooing clinchers no matter how good they are.

I know thats standard operating procedure… but… just sounds so rough.

11th July! its going to be a great day :slight_smile: You going to build it in Melb, or take it home? I guess there would be a few people there keen to have a build night with you and it… but prob the same at home, too.

Fair enough. For what it’s worth I’ve been riding the old 24c Pave’s and they have been amazing. BEST TYRE EVER.

And if you build it in Melbourne we can always sort out some snaps too. ;]

That would be awesome.

Baum to build. Me to test ride in Geelong & confirm fit. Also sort out cleat position.

And it’s been delayed again. Darren was unhappy with one of the chainstays and has rebuilt the frame.
Wife has booked leave and we’ve booked accommodation for the trip.

I’ll know more later this week, as it was supposed to be out of paint in the next couple of days it’s unlikely that it’ll be ready for a pickup on the 12th :frowning:

Could end up coming over in a box on a truck.

Most people on that forum would be the least qualified to offer subjective input about tyres. Most are people with money who think the know better than anyone else just because their tastes aren’t mainstream.

Got a phone call from Baum yesterday & got the skinny on what happened.
Darren has built me a new frame from scratch. There was a grain near the manipulation of one of the rear stays that wasn’t evident until it had been bead blasted. Since the rear stays are going to be 7/8th polished it would have been a blemish that couldn’t be polished out. This would not have been an issue if the frame was being painted in this section.

Long & short of it is that the 12th isn’t going to happen so the wife & I will doing a road trip to The Royal Mail Hotel in Dunkeld & come home via Penola instead.

I’ll push the bike pickup back until the end of the month & come up to Melbs for some pics if you’re going to be around Rooster.

Yeah mate, I should be here. Don’t think I have much on after the next NCXS weekend. Just shoot me a PM once you know what dates you’ll be in town and we’ll sort something out. :]

Starting from scratch is pretty amazing commitment to getting a job done properly, very impressive.

There is an upside for me which is still being sorted out…

Is this going to turn into a biketart-esque “oh shit I have an extra custom bike what do i do now” scenario?

actual lol

What’s a grain? Is this abnormality or imperfections in the metal?

was going to ask the same thing. all metals have grains, even single crystal turbine blades (well, one giant grain.)

lamination? inclusion? sulfide stringer? etc etc?

RMH Dunkeld has v nice fireplaces, and i found the food yum.
There’s a secondhand bookshop over the road that has a HEAP of fun stuff in it. I got a collection of John Muir’s essays on animals there and its awesome.

backing this.

So either Darren fucking up big time, or he’s a perfectionist. By all accounts the latter is probably the case.
Nice one!

Or he hasn’t actually started it and did the old, oh it’s not good enough ill make another.