The Podcast Thread.

ok, so i’ve started listening to a few podcasts of late, and i was curious whether or not it’s gonna smash my phone data allowance. do they take up much? mainly thinking for when i use my phone on 3g when at work or whatever.

got wifi at home so will try and dl as much as possible there, but i’ve just listened to a couple of 20m freakonomics pieces and was curious.

anyone?

why not just download on itunes at home/work and put on your ipod?
I’m pretty sure it will suck data pretty quick on a phone plan.

10-50mb each, plus overhead. excepting monster eps like hardcore history.

download at home, listen later.

can’t have itunes on our work pc’s… urgh.

will definitely be downloading a shitload at home when i can, was just curious for times like today when i wanna listen to something and have to use my data plan.

edit - thanks blakey, should be fine then, get 1.5gb per month and never go near it due to wifi at home etc.

cheers

podcasts, hurrah!

yeah, that sucks. I download a shitload of podcasts at work each week.

thread dig.

Listened to this old ep of the Nerdist, with Neil Degrasse Tyson - pretty awesome, especially if you’re a space nerd.

through that, found out the guy has his own podcast, which is also pretty good. SWEET.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is awesome.

Relatively Prime

MATH!

Adam Carolla

podcasts woooooo.

am trying to get into a habit of listening to one 20m episode each night in bed to help me go to sleep.

enjoying 99% invisible at the moment, as well as radiolab as always.

just got TED Radiohour, yet to listen to any though.

any newer ones I should be listening to? more into the story type ones as opposed to the money/economics style (freakonomics, planet money etc).

chux?

Record 20 minutes of Blakey and DaFrog talking about the properties of different metals.

I said go to sleep, not consider walking in front of a bus.

Just the Tip

Rolly - everything mentioned at the top.
Plus the Nerdist, and The Bugle! totally awesome.

there ya go, 2 more!

thx chunx

I enjoy Monacle 24’s the Menu and sometimes the Entrepreneurs. The Menu though has lost a pretty big laughable section though which sort of sucks, if anyone listens to this you will know what I am talking about (hopefully).

Otherwise for bite size bits, The Moth is really good.

Very similar to my weekly rotation. Yet to find a podcast as enjoyable and varied as Radiolab. My brain just ‘feels’ interested at the sound of their voices now ha. Same deal with Ira Glass.

Hadn’t heard of the Nerdist and it looks good, thanks.

I really struggle with Monocle. I want to like it, but sometime I just find myself screaming to no one in particular SHUT UP!, NOBODY CARES WHO THE BEST TAILOR IN BERLIN IS FOR WHEN YOU HAVE THAT EMERGENCY ALTERATION DURING A QUICK STOP-OVER ON YOUR WAY TO THE FUCKING FURNITURE FAIR! SHOVE YOUR HERMES TIE UP YOUR ARSE AND JUST SHUT. UP.

Which Monocle shows do you listen to Chaz? I agree - some of them are a bit of a wank, but there is the occasional interesting topics and ideas behind how people decide to make a living.

Haven’t bothered with it for months, but I always liked the Entrepreneurs, largely because it allowed be to vicariously quit my career and start a small business with a hipster logo that utilities the word ‘authentic’ or ‘organic’

Urbanist was quite good as well. The Culture one would be awesome, if they were allowed to play more than 5 seconds of a song.

Also, I’m in love with Sophie Grove’s ever so slightly lispy voice.