The Podcast Thread.

Agree. I recently queued up a couple of episodes of The Urbanist and I got about 5 minutes in before Andrew Tuck’s voice made me want to stick something sharp in my ear. Monocle have a special knack for turning everything into a consumable lifestyle product that is only obtainable for the 1%.

Listened to this Radiolab podcast on a recent car trip, great story, read by Liev Schreiber and it has a character called ‘Qfwfq’

The Distance of the Moon - Radiolab

Actually, it’s technically not obtainable to anyone. Nobody who earns enough to seriously subscribe to the Monocles lifestyle isn’t actually reading Monocle, they’re reading The Economist.

Rediscovering some old Get This podcasts. Oh man, this shit is still good 6 years later.

^Radio shows don’t get much better.
Here is links to the unedited full shows.
The ones up on iTunes cut out heaps of the sketches due to copyright issues.

Get This episodes. 2006
Get This episodes. 2007

AWESOME! Ah man, I wish this show had kept going.

heads-up space nerds:
Nerdist Podcast: Chris Hadfield « Nerdist
(starts 4 mins in)

There goes my morning productivity. Thanks Chuxz!

listening now, thanks

Edit: love just the casual " I take this great picture of the outback and it’s film, so I’m going, well I think it was a good picture, anyway I get back to earth two weeks later and send it to the lab…

I am a little bit late to this particular Podcast - but I am hooked. So tempted to binge listen as it only goes for 12 episodes.

[i]"On January 13, 1999, a girl named Hae Min Lee, a senior at Woodlawn High School in Baltimore County, Maryland, disappeared. A month later, her body turned up in a city park. She’d been strangled. Her 17-year-old ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, was arrested for the crime, and within a year, he was convicted and sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. The case against him was largely based on the story of one witness, Adnan’s friend Jay, who testified that he helped Adnan bury Hae’s body. But Adnan has always maintained he had nothing to do with Hae’s death. Some people believe he’s telling the truth. Many others don’t.

Sarah Koenig, who hosts Serial, first learned about this case more than a year ago. In the months since, she’s been sorting through box after box (after box) of legal documents and investigators’ notes, listening to trial testimony and police interrogations, and talking to everyone she can find who remembers what happened between Adnan Syed and Hae Min Lee fifteen years ago. What she realized is that the trial covered up a far more complicated story, which neither the jury nor the public got to hear. The high school scene, the shifting statements to police, the prejudices, the sketchy alibis, the scant forensic evidence - all of it leads back to the most basic questions: How can you know a person’s character? How can you tell what they’re capable of? In Season One of Serial, she looks for answers."[/i]

Ok so jez and I want to start a podcast about metal and cigars. Are there any legal loopholes that allow us to play songs in their entirety? What are the realistic legal implications if we ignore those laws?

i listened to that entire series in about a day and a half’s driving on that roadtrip i did before school started. was perfect for the 8hr day when i was behind schedule leaving melbourne.

i also found the whole thing kinda annoying for various reasons.

What reasons?

i think binge listening made it very repetitive. i’m sure listening to it once a week would’ve been less of an issue, but i didn’t.

i got a little over Sarah’s constant questioning of herself (also repetitive).

the case is full of questions we’ll never know the answer to.

there’s no outcome (which i was fully aware of from the start, but i was still hoping for something. more my issue than the podcasts however.)

i did enjoy it though, just perhaps would’ve enjoyed it more if i’d been a little more controlled when hitting next episode immediately after i’d finished one. i also very much think that regardless of who did it, the case was a shambles.

Just figured out podcasts this morning, listened to “Super Critical” riding to work which was pretty average.
Any quick recommendations (looking for 15-30 min episodes for the ride home).

Anything film/videogame related or just straight funny would be appreciated.

Shortsie already mentioned WTF with Marc Maron. It’s really good. Listened to a bunch on trains and planes OS. The Kim Gordon, Bob Mould and Mike Judge episodes are great.

goddamnit spoiler!!!

I’m pretty sure they warn you numerous times that there will most likely be no outcome?
Been awhile since it was on, so I can’t recall exactly.

Also LOVE + RADIO is awesome.
The episode “The Living Room” was just heartbreaking, and one of the best podcasts I have listened to.
Radiolab replayed it not long ago, so fans of that will most likely have heard it as well.

it’s one of the very first things she tells you in the first episode dude!!