The running thread

Its a zen thing

barefoot = fixie.

Sucked a bunch of new-comers in, was kewl with kids who used to skate and then grew older, now is championed by those who think Frankie is bleeding edge and a few diehards, some of which are pretty awesome.

yes.

Had my 10km fun run this morning - so stoked with my time - was hoping to beat last years’ [40:55] and was hoping to get close to 40min, with slight thoughts of breaking 40… Came in a 38:40 - I then went for a bike ride and am now drinking home brew - today was a good day :smiley:

Good work mate! I’ve been running every day as extra training for soccer, it’s paying off now. Played 80mins Friday night, when I’d usually sub off after 60.

Awesome work! It’s good to feel progress, hey?!
Cheers mate! I was surprised how well I did as instead of doing what I’d told myself I’d do - stop drinking 4 weeks prior and start running heaps - I stopped drinking for the 4 weeks but just ended up riding more!
Now the challenge for a time to beat next year is faster than I ever thought I’d hit!

Great time, jm!

Does anyone here take any supplements just for running?
I’m running four days a wk plus two nights at soccer, I’m finding by Friday my legs are a little bit dead. Apart from stretching and rest is there anything you would recommend.

I don’t believe a person should run unless they’re being chased.

went for a pathetic 4km run this morning…in my defence i hadn’t ran for more than 30seconds since primary school (im 24). things can only improve,right?

Haha yes, when are you going to start riding

Dayne - hopfully getting a contract though work so ill have set rosters for the first time evverrr haha,so ill be able to work out times I’m able to be on the bike other than commuting too work :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope, I don’t take anything… Never have and don’t plan to.
I run at least once a week (at least 7km, usually closer to 10), ride fixed 40km/day Mon to Fri and ride my roadie, generally about 150-200km, each weekend and don’t encounter any trouble.

A mate of mine in japan used to swear by sportlegs, or something of a similar name… i think you can get it here.
I ran for about 9hours on fri/sat and I think the thing that got me through was plenty of bacon each morning.

But seriously, if supplements do help, theyre just allowing you to do stuff that you’re otherwise not ready to do. Have confidence (and patience) that you will get there without them. Take one of your runs out, see if you can get on top of that load and then add it back in when you reckon you can take it.

went for a 8k run yesterday.

now my nips are sore.

//youtu.be/Xzwf8O4ZCKk

Sounds like you’re on your way to a good pair o’ calluses

I take horleys protein ice whey supplement,
The jury is still out on magnesium and for some people to much can cause stomach upset.
Also omega 3 (krill oil is good).

There’s lots of vegan options aswell for protein that are easily accessed and are easily digested and fast acting.

Well apart from diet changes I started taking some powder to help with recovery. Nothing fancy just the usual electrolytes and some magnesium amongst other things. Felt better this wk and managed 90 mins tonight at soccer. So seeing some improvement.

Went for a 15km trundle yesterday in preparation for the Great Ocean Road half mara in a couple of weeks. Didn’t find yesterday too difficult so am hoping 23km with hills won’t kill me… Planning to run a full mara in November so GOR half should give me a decent idea of where I am with my training.

any tips on where to buy asics shoes?

my last few pairs have been through wiggle but looks like they’re no longer shipping to australia

and catch of the day have kayano 19s for $150, good buyin.