The small joys today thread (a bit of Yang for FoA Yin of late)

it is slightly spooky isn’t it, coming out of the shadows, no red balloon though

Sold a few bikes to whittle the collection down to what it should be (2 bikes, plus pub bike) - and have managed to stick it out and get a decent amount for each, which has been great. No longer hoarding QBP niche brand steel frames.

3 Likes

Can I ask what the two bikes are? Trying to do a similar whittle down primarily so there’s less maintenance.

(It’s me Aeons but I made a new account)

You’re not the boss of me!

1. Voodoo Wazoo W/ Crust Clydesdale Fork
  2. Ritchey Ascent 650b bigger tyres thingy

Plus a fixie at work and a retro MTB but they have no value except to me, plus get ridden quite often for errands/lunch runs.

How are you liking the Ascent? Is it built up?

All done - really loving it, fits great and feels nice off-road.

Has wtb byways on there now as those 2.2’s had too little clearance on the rear.

5 Likes

i like that!

20 chara

That looks good. Really nice job.

Nice Tom!

SJ: a week without the fam to get some proper sleep
NSJ: a week without the girls
SJ: podiumed twice on the weekend
SJ: off-season/cx season starts

Massive joy: Emma has started saying “Dada”

1 Like

SJ: Getting upgrades at the office.
NSJ: Everything seems like a downgrade. My new office chair has more adjustments, but has a huge lumbar bolster that is too low and unadjustable, pushing my ass forward. The cushion is about 2 hands width too short (should put that in the beyond metric thread) too, so I am now in considerable discomfort after sitting for an hour or more.
My laptop “upgrade” is a joke. Flimsy cheap NEC piece of crap. Processor/RAM are good enough, but not great with an i7 and 16gb, but the display is 1366 x 768. I didn’t think you could actually buy anything that low rez anymore. I’m going to have to pay out of pocket to buy dongles and keep my old monitors so I can actually work. The keyboard and touchpad are absolutely worthless as well. Touchpad is one of those flimsy push to click ones and the keyboard is super low travel butterfly type like a macbook. I have to type all day, so external keyboard it will be. I really wonder who the hell was in charge of procurement. They must have known nothing about computers.

So rad Danny! Bring the girls back for a visit soon!

1 Like

34 days until we’re in the country but only 17 days left of work.

Did you get a renewed contract?

And how good is it when they start saying stuff, especially Dada?

SJ: jumping on a plane to Syd tonight, visiting family, then visiting one of my best mates in Canberra.
NSJ: shitty perth weather at the moment, hopefully flight isnt delayed.

Didn’t know you and ezy were mates

1 Like

ha!

my mate did tell me to bring my niner with me…too much hassle tho

So. I ride through Fitzroy Gardens every morning, even though it says no bikes. (It’s a Stupid rule so I ignore it) and about a year ago some 50ish year old business man yelled at me, I was wearing headphones so I said “sorry dude can’t hear you” as I rode past him, he yelled more and I turned and shugged my shoulders in a provocative way and and kept riding. The dude raged out and started chasing and screaming at me, it was a pretty funny site. I just rode away giggling. The dude ruined his own day.

Then a couple of months later I was riding through and another dude yelled at me as I was approaching (I ride quite slowly through the park cos it’s real pretty)
And as I went past I just said “why do you care? Relax pal” and that made him angier and he started motioning that he wanted to fight. I just kept riding.

I’ll often get dirty looks and what not so obviously it annoys some people that I slowly meander through the park in the morning.

After that one I thought I’d start experimenting with my approach to these people.

It’s like I had a do over, like groundhog day.
So I tried a couple of of things like if they say some shit I would just kind of agree and say “yeah I know”, as I’m riding past in an agreeable tone, and that kind of thing.

My latest thing is I ride through and force a big earnest, friendly smile as I ride through.
And no shit, it works! People who are giving me dirty looks more often than not will just pull it back, or go back to normal face.

Some people smile back and I haven’t had any yeller’s or finger wavers.

I figured it out! I had do overs! I groundhog day’d it.

So yeah.

1 Like

Closest I ever got to biffo was with an old bloke in that park for this very reason. He said he was gonna call the cops and I said he should, and he called me a sanctimonious little man, and I suggested I felt the same about him. Meanwhile Charlotte literally rode away cos she had never seen me so angry hahahaha. These days I follow your model of smiling, it defo works.

Or you could just change your route. Or you could walk your bike through the park and enjoy it a little more slowly.

Because there is a rule, people who see you breaking it will get pissed off. It’s just the same as a driver sitting at a red light getting pissed off watching a cyclist run the red. Cyclists struggle to get respect from a lot of people. Little things like this add up. And those people may or may not be irrational in their anger. But do you really need to piss them off?

If you don’t like the rule why don’t you contact the local Council and say something about it? And if you feel you are justified in riding slowly and safely through the park, then why don’t you say to the Council that the rule should be altered to allow slow safe cycling? The Council might have something to say in response, and there may even be some rational counter-arguments you are not aware of for why it is a good idea to stop cycling in this one park.

1 Like