The 'what you've done to your bike today' thread

That bike is lit!

New gravel build. Open U.P. frameset.

In dirt mode with 47mm 650b WTB Senderos and a Thudbuster.

Road mode has 30mm 700c road tyres and a carbon seatpost.

8 Likes

Swanky!
What are those bars? Look like flared ergos?

Ritchey Venturemax carbon, wide 24 degree flare, shallow drop. There’s a bit of a kink on the drops which was weird at first, and limits how you move your hands on the drops, but once you get in the spot it’s great for not losing your hands on rough fast descents.

Thudbuster is excellent. But I also wouldn’t mind a dropper that I could easily swap out because I wouldn’t run it all the time. Problem for internal cable routed frames generally.

Wireless dropper?
Or a PNW suspension dropper external routed could work

why would you swap it out?

Road mode, would swap out for the carbon post. I no longer have a dedicated roadie.

Also, I really like the Thudbuster for general gravel riding that doesn’t involve steep technical single-track descents. That said, the PNW dropper has 40mm suspension.

That’s a cool frame. I’d love to give one a go

KS used to make a dropper that just had a little lever under the saddle for adjustments. I can’t imagine I’d enjoy a suspension post tbh

If you have the cash - go with the wireless dropper, especially if you are going to be constantly swapping between the two. I have thought about it for my Karate Monkey going from MTB mode to bikepacking mode.

Ah yeah non-remote dropper. That’s probably the ticket, if I can find one 27.2.

My riding buddy had been pushing the benefits of a Thudbuster on me for years, and I thought no way, until I finally agreed to borrow one for a month-long test. I have to say I think it’s fantastic kit for non-tarmac. It helps maintain a good cadence while staying seated over rough terrain - I didn’t realise how much I was off the saddle on trails. The suspension posts work differently to the Thudbuster, and I don’t think I’d like one in the same way.

$1k! Also doesn’t look like many (or any) options for 27.2.

Becoming GOA mafia. Makes me want to put grav bars on the big green monster I got, whack on Avid cantis, some brifters and 35 knobblies.

1 Like

Had to clear some stuff out of my sister’s shed so decided to do a little project.
Picked up my old Sakae Litage. Looked like this:

Now looking like this:

Another few hours work and it should be done. What it’s got now: 6700 shakes, Sugino cranks 44/34 rings, Matrix hard ano rims to 105 hubs, Schwalbe One 28mm tyres, Deore derailleurs, 11-32 cassette, Cannondale homebrand calipers, 3t stem & shitty SR bars, Brooks saddle. Haven’t had to buy a single thing, all of this stuff was in my parts bin.
Already took it for a spin and it rides nicely.

7 Likes

this is an iconic bicycle Jono

1 Like

Campy hoods are so much nicer than shimano’s bulbous monstrosities.

1 Like

Yep. I’d love to run full Campy 11 speed: maybe when I wear the current drivetrain out in 15000 km time. By then 12 speed might be affordable.

literally every ride on my Caad I just marvel at how good the 11 speed Chorus is. Everything about it is perfect. The 12 speed looks dog ugly imo.

Finally got all the bits for the Avanti build! Finished it all up today. Feels good to ride so far.

4 Likes

Got out of the neighbourhood this morning and proceeded to break a spoke on a fast descent. Booourns.
20211030_082716
That’ll teach me to build wheels with ancient hoshi bladed spokes. Now I have to dig through my spoke collection… Pretty sure I have normal butted ones the same length.
Apart from that, it rides very nicely.

So good Cam. You gonna do a vintage Avanti calendar? :grin:

1 Like