to straggler or not.

You probably need to stop keeping up with mountain bikers :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha. Iā€™m possibly doing a deal with another FOAer to get his mtb. Weā€™ll seeā€¦

nice one!

size up!

http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/f36/fat-tires-40-45-gravel-road-everything-between-31176/

a crosscheck will fit a 50c no?

Cheers, thats a good thread. I think the cross check would take 50 c but that would prbably be the limit (i think surly says 48c or so). Those rockNroads look damn nice.

Looking at a bit of mud clearence I wouldnt go wider than my Rock N Roads which are 43mm. The MTB guys in my area are quite surprised what this bike is able to do :wink: Love it!

Dropouts are weird and could be a proper PITA, at least they will work with fenders.
Fork is cool with all the mounts.

Building this for a friend. Itā€™s pretty much finished now, just need to tweak up front brake:

And Ive had a set of 29x2.0 Big Apples on Sun CR18s in this frame. Bags of room.

ā€¦btw, anyone knows the reason why they are sticking to these short headtubes? If there was one thing Iā€™d change it would be the headtube. It works just fine but you are forced to use more than usual spacers and I wonder if theres a reason for it. Stiffness may be a point but that should be doable with a bit of a longer headtube as well.

Head tube is not exactly super short. On the short side perhaps.
My Some ES and DC both have long head tubes compared to the Straggler & Crosscheck.
Probably to do with Surlyā€™s fat tyre obsession and having more angle on the downtube and taller forks.

Front easy. Back not so much, as you have to deflate the tyres to get them and run the axle further back in the dropouts. The whole deflating tyres to fit in frame is a faffing PITA. Largest Iā€™d consider going with my CC would be the 42-43c ballpark.

Two reasons as far as I can work out 1) Aesthetic. So that the frame has a horisontal TT. ā€˜classicā€™ look yeh. 2) cos lots of Fred commuters run flatbars with them. Same reason for Pomps having short HTs too.

Coz surly.

Yeah, youā€™re probably right about that AL.

Yo Al!! You seem to be knower of all things ā€œbraze-onā€ā€¦ Straggler Vs Macho Man whats your thoughts?

$50 between them for frame/fork so nothing really, I like the front rack braze-on on the the Straggler fork and the pink paint over the orange to be honest so really not much between themā€¦

I was looking at Macho Man disc last night over a Straggler.

Orange is the new black.

Rawland Drakar???

I prefer the Marco Manā€™s geo (not so Surly)ā€¦ but the Surly is pink and has moar braze-ons. Surly wins despite derp HT and wonky dropouts.

No longer being made unfortanately. Nice frames for taller folks, always too big for the likes of me.

Whose is the Rawland Drakar for sale on Gumtree?

Some dude, Westcoastpete went and checked it out.

Pretty meh build, but great frames. (well except for the milding annoying dropouts)

Edit: I was referring to drakkar dropouts. Surly ones weird.

those dropouts are weird.

Derp