tough mudder

I don’t think they want danger - I think it’s just the challange aspect - same reason people run marathons, or we ride up hills. Plus you get to get muddy and stuff. Apart from the typical crowd that this sort of thing attracts, I don’t find it at all offensive.

What i object to is that it’s being advertised as the toughest event in the world. Gargh.

edit: in regards to truth, i dunno. That’s another kettle of fish. An opinion can be truth if it expresses a proposition that is true. But what we count as true? Sheeet.

This thread is relevant to my irrational hate…

nah, the “danger” is definitely part of it. why else would they bollocks on about the flame throwers and the electric shocks?

Ha! It’s a fucking obstacle course on Phillip Island ffs.

Campaigning for gay rights in Malaysia indeed. How about instead of your bike ride this weekend you go and set a monk on fire or something.

i don’t understand your comparison.

i mean, i’m assuming you’re comparing my argument, in which i suggest that those wanting to experience danger go do something that is actually dangerous, to yours, which seems to take two unrelated things and suggest i replace one with the other.

talk slow, because i’m not real bright.

Shall we resort to name calling?

oh, shit, i forgot, english is your second language! now it makes perfect sense! oh man, i feel so bad. sorry, cousin balki.

Its like boot camp all the bogans from caroline springs that work with me are doing it.

some serious straw man shit going on in here.

fuck we’re first world.

No idea where I stand with this. IMO setting yourself a challenge and completing it, no matter how oddball or cranbourne, is a good thing. But signing up to some event to snort testosterone and beat your chest is not.
Ultimately I think I: (a) nothing this; (b) approve of earnest people trying to do something because they think it will be fun; and (c) dislike people who say “it’s going to be hardcore”.

Brendan, to be fair I don’t think people are doing it for danger, they are doing it because it will be a challenge. If they wanted danger they wouldn’t sign up for an event that is ultimately aimed at the general public. People aren’t going to die doing this and all the entrants know it. Plus mud pits are fun, when was the last time you scrounged around in one? I think I was 6. That sucks! I am going to go roll down some sand dunes now to unleash my inner 6 year old (without the bad teeth, bowl cut and glasses).

You’re not going to wear your glasses? Why? What if there’s a camel or oasis mid dune?

I’ll wear the brikos

Omg
So right now I am in a tattoo Shop in cranbourne getting tattooed, and some dirty people have come in to enquire about getting tough mudder tattoos…

Coosin Larry???

That was fucking ace.

Just got home from Phillip Island. Ran the course on Saturday. It was great fun. Definitely wasn’t epic, extreme, dangerous or “the toughest event on the planet” but it was a hoot. Jumping into mud up to my neck, jumping into a tank of ice filled water, a 100m slippery dip ending in a pit of mud and a bunch of other stupidly fun things all added up to lots of fun. Sure, a lot of ripped guys without shirts turned up. I enjoyed jogging past them when they ran out of energy and walked. I imagined a fair bit of the “im a tough mudder hero” would be going on but I didn’t see that much. I saw a lot of people wearing their free tshirts in cowes when we went out for dinner. That’s always a bit embarrassing :slight_smile: I also saw some people buying next years entire wardrobe at the merch tent. I guess some people need something to brag about and some just like to do stuff for the fun or sheer amusement of doing it.
I did it with a group of friends and we did it as a team for a bit of a challenge and a bit of fun. This seemed to be what 80% of the folks on the course turned up for. I don’t see what is wrong with that.

If there’s no point to it, i.e. recreational, mudders, epic, etc. it really means nothing. If it’s a recognised competition it means something. But if you want real risk, it’d be more dangerous to walk drunk through a dodgy part of town.