Wald Front Basket Bags

Shoulder strap is stitched halfway down on the side of my bag. I roll it when clipping into my bike. the PDW solution is far more elegant, but then you can’t roll the bag and use the strap at the same time. Blergh!

Designing bags is hard!

But I love it.

Think of the number of hours that the FOA collective has spent on this email chain!

Picked up one of these. Sent Andre an email asking about colours, and he sorted me out with a black one, even though they’re not listed as an option on his site.

Good turn around time. Great communication. Very reasonable shipping cost. A++ would deal with again.

I originally ordered the bag with the intention of securing it directly to the rack sans basket. There’s webbing sewn in along the back panel, and across the middle of the base panel, so it ties down fine. That said the bag has no padding, and as such has very little structure/support on its own. I’ll see how it goes loaded up.

Keen to see how you go!

First impression have been good. I’ve been using it on the commute, and the bag holds up well without the basket supporting. Even with two six packs inside, the little included velcro straps hold on. But it’s been great being able to confidently leave the backpack at home.

I need to find some time, move the rack across to the 'cross bike, and do some long gravel rides to see how it holds up sans basket on rougher terrain.

Mine doesn’t look too far away now!

Means mine can’t be far away then.

Arrived yesterday and used it to commute home. Very very good, this is going to be super handy!

Picked mine up today. Wald 139 custom from Terra Rosa Gear, reflective daisy chain strip around the perimeter, fluorescent orange straps to hold it in place and carry, yellow liner to keep things easy to find.

Swallows a BOGear Spare Camel and Babycandy.

The wide orange strap ^ is a shoulder strap for off the bike duties. Will take a better pic of it tomorrow.

Very sexxy. You two are giving me Wald and bag envy.

What’s the lining material? The standard bags aren’t lined, and i never thought about the fact that the inside of my bag is so dark! I did buy it off the shelf, and already struggled with the price, so customising is something i never really thought about.

The lining is a nylon, iirc Evan said it was the stuff boating sailbags are made out of, not waterproof but water resistant and as some wear capability. Not to worried about the water properties, just wanted to be able to see inside the bag and the black outer on its own would have been too dark. Would have gone with orange but he didn’t have any on hand.

A couple of questions if I may. I am looking at option of these type of bags attached to a porteur type platform, not to a wald or something with a wall.

• Is the consensus view that this is feasible even off road? - I think ChuingBeans was doing this.
  • What does the roll top of the bag clip into? Does the bag roller clip into straps on the base of the bag itself, or do you need to attach buckles to the basket or platform? I ask because I was wondering how easy it is to transfer the bag between bikes.
  • And are the roller side clips all that holds the bag on, or are there other attachments on the base of the bag?

Mine has nothing on the bottom.

The roll top clips allow it to be looped through the bottom of the basket/rack and then clipped together holding it in place, you can see the orange strap in the pic ^.

If you were doing it sans basket, just the rack, I’d be looking for a strap and clip on the head tube side of the bag so you could hook it through the rack, or around the headtube itself to stop forward momentum. I did similar with my home made bag before I got the basket, using a loop of material with velcro on the end of it to hold onto the rack and stick back onto velcro on the bag.

Yes thanks Geoff. I didn’t necessarily mean the bottom, just whether the strap was looping through the basket and then back onto the bag or strap itself somewhere which is what seems to be the case.

And as you suggest without a rail I would be looking to attach rear of bag to tombstone as an extra anchor point.

Although at this stage I am just deciding between a porteur type platform and a basket, the actual bags will come later. For my purposes a flat platform will suit me more and doesn’t have any disadvantages.

ILE and Swift and all that make sweet porteur bags. My ILE clips onto a flat rack. I’ve know of people just strapping their roll top messenger bags to porteur bags no worries, or whatever bags really. Just strap it down.

I’d grab an ILE if I was going to go Porteur rack sans basket, or I’d talk to Evan @terrarosagear to make me a custom bag that’d suit.

The ILE is good for bare rack action. I just need to sort out the lateral movement issue (there’s nothing stopping it sliding sideways) and get some wider bars (cos shakes sometimes hit the bag depending on how it’s packed).

You can fix that lateral movement issue by selling it to me.