which canti brakes...

ok, i’m looking for something decent that’s not too much of a pain in the arse to adjust and will give me clearance for front racks.

i’ve had a bit of a loo at the following…

[ul]
[li]paul touring canti[/li][li]avid shorty[/li][li]empella frogglegs[/li][/ul]

any other suggestions?

thanks all.

I have no idea about the racks, but if it helps I’ve got a pair of new Shimano cantis you can have.

I got irritated with cantis and now I’m using mini-Vs instead.

Check these out

they come on the kona jake the snakes and they work really well for the money.

Tektro cr720. They’re a knockoff of the Paul and much cheaper. Look good, perform well, easy to set up.

dunno if it’d work for you but I went a bit of a different way on my commuter pig - with Avid SD7 Vees and Cane Creek Deep V levers (‘aero’ road levers with longer cable pull especially for vees)

just another option, should be OK for clearance with racks?

So easy to setup and adjust. Cheap, able to toe-in, cartridge pads too.

Mini vees can often be a pig with racks.

Came highly recommended for quality, price and stopping power. oh and you can get them in black :wink:

I switched the front pads to koolstop salmons… cant decide if it made a big difference or not but they were on sale when i bought the brakes and id seen some reviews suggesting changing the stock pads.

I’ll vouch for the Pauls. My boss runs the Shimanos and rates them highly as well.

thanks all.

might go for the tektro cr720’s

thanks for the offer snowflake, but most of what i’ve read/heard about the shimanos hasn’t been too positive.

I haven’t been happy with any cantis yet. Hence the switch to mini-Vs.

I hate canti’s it’s why my last cross set up had a flat bar and xt brakes.

I’d take cantis over v brakes any day.

I reckon V brakes were designed by the same engineers who build bridges that collapse before they are completed.

I’ve got the same levers with Pauls Motolite V’s, and a Nitto Marks front rack, fits perfectly on my touring Surly LHT. It works fine, but I do prefer the performance and feel of a well setup canti.

I can’t disagree more. V’s are so easy to adjust, stop you well, and are generally more conveniant. Canti’s can be good, but i have had many bad experiences. Mckenny can do what he likes though. I’ll support him.

I’ve used the Kore, Shimano and Avid canti brakes at various times over the years on various bikes and I’ve never been satisfied with them. There are much better options out there these days.

Mini Vs, standard Vs with cable travel adapter, V-brake levers, or disc brakes are the win.

Using discs on my touring bike now, Vs on my Cross bike. All happy. The brake shudder associated with front canti brakes doesn’t happen with the other brake types either.

• Joel

Doesn’t anyone remember ditching their cantis and upgrading them with v brakes in the 90s because cantis sucked?!?
I saved my paper round money for so long to buy V brakes.

Thread revival.
Sick of the shudder with the tektro oryx (I know, serves me right) and am looking at the Cane creeks or the Avids. Is there any reason I should consider Pauls?

avids rok.

Give mini-Vs a try.

Give the new avid shorty ultimates a try they are awesome, love them on my bike. They are very easy to set up my only gripe is that they have no quick release function which I guess would not be an issue in a cross race.