which canti brakes...

If your fork is drilled, a fork mounted brake hanger will solve plenty of shudder issues. Specialized makes one:

Anyone know who else makes 'em?

hi everyone!

i’ll weigh just to say i’ve purchased some kool stop pads as the stock ones on the cr720 suck satan’s pecker.

I’m waiting on my 720’s, they should arrive this week. What model KoolStops did you replace them with? I’ve got a set of KoolStopEagle (?) in the parts box I might try.

these ones from these guys

If they are salmon then they are ok to use. I’ve tried supras, eagles and the cartridge ones so far (what? i ride my cross bike a lot in muddy conditions)

The stock pads are rubbish, but you dont realise how bad until you switch to koolstops… i’ve heard good talk about swisstop greens as well.

bicyclesupply.com and jensonusa also do very cheap koolstops.

read the leonard zinn article on shudder or PM me for the very extended article that cxmagazine did on how to minimise/prevent it.

Bumping this thread because starting new threads is pointless.

So i just bought myself an on one il pompino. i’ve got most of the parts i need, just not sure on what braes to use. i don’t now shit for shit when it comes to canti’s and v-braes and all that, or what levers to use with them.

so what do you all recommend for a decent priced brae setup?

If drop bars, probably best to get Tektro CR720 cantis or RX4 mini Vs, both cheap on US ebay, switch the pads immediately for Salmon compound Kool Stop. Fullsize Vs need special levers or a travel agent.

If risers/flat bars, you can use either, Vs are easy to come by used too.

Cantis give you more mud clearance, can be trickier to setup, especially older style ones, CR720s are a cinch though. Vs have a lot of power, run closer to the rim and are thus less mud/wheel true tolerant.

Nice one Pip,

I’m gonna switch from cantis to mini v’s on my il pompino, I’m using risers At the moment.

The one issue is that the may be reduced clearance for fenders should I want to run them. So normal V brakes are sounding like a more feasible option now, although I won’t be able to put my dropbar setup back on without changing my calipers.

Hmm, i might try out the cr720’s first and see how they go. what levers are you running on your risers sime? anyone know if the Avid FR 5 Brake Levers are alrght?

ill also need a cable hanger right? anyone know where i could buy one for a drilled fork?

I had Tektro mini Vs on the Cross check and ran fenders over 32-35mm tyres with no problems. The rubber boot may have rested on the fender, but it didn’t affect usage.

I have one similar to the one Sir Kev posted, but no adjuster, which is ok with MTB levers. Nikcee may be able to lend you one for a little while…

Shimano BR550, Jagwire inline adjuster, Tektro 1272AF hanger

Mongoose front by ah_blake, on Flickr

Another option is a steerer mounted hanger with a barrel, like Tektro 1274AT, these can be tricky depending on stem size/length/angle/# spacers.

pip - if you arent taking it off road into the mud, put mini-vs on it. you’ll complain about cantis (adjustment/stopping power) compared to your normal caliper brakes otherwise. trust me (and i still maintain my opinion on the aesthetics of v-brakes)

dia-compe steerer-mounted hangers can be easily obtained from abbotsford as well (and someone told me recently they had the for-mounted ones as well)

sime - the rate your on-one is going it’ll be ineligible for DDCX next year =P

i plan on finally hitting the mud everynow and then with this, and wouldn’t mind some extra room for my wobbly ass wheels so i already impulse bought canti’s, if they’re shit i’ll grab some mini v’s.

can’t wait to get this together!

Yeah V/mini V’s are the way to go. See how you go with your impulse purchase though!

Pip, the levers at the moment are just el cheap tektro things like this

Nik, I dont care haha, thats ages away. For now I want the bike to actually ride well

Avid brake levers (Speed-dial can be adjusted to suit), Avid Shorty 6 (good), Avid Shorty Ultimate (grouse). Who needs v-brakes?

^ Those of us that cannot adjust canti’s properly… :slight_smile:
Oh and the dreaded brake shudder.

Planning on trying a fork mounted hanger. That should fix it.

Tektro 720’s are a dream to set up compared to the cantis I had years ago. ATMO, canti’s are way better looking then V’s.

Pip - get some salmon kool stop pads… it’s the easiest and best change you can make to the tektros. cheap as chips from bicyclesupply.com or jenson.

buy some extra road pads while you are there to cut the postage (someone will always want more).

To those who did buy the tektro cr720’s which Kool stop pads did you upgrade them with?
the full V-brake style ones?
the v-brake inserts?
the road inserts?

thanks for any help, don’t wanna have to order from Jenson twice.