Aero Helmets

Maybe I should buy a sperm lid for crit racing.

D grade watch out!

So you’re telling me a disc and tri spoke and aero set up has as noticble difference at 20km/phr as it does at 55?
It’s just at 30kmhr I’m happy to sit on the front all day but at 45km I’m looking for a wheel to hide behind or any aero advantage I can get

Just because you can’t feel the difference doesn’t mean there isn’t a performance benefit at slower speeds.

Alex in the link I posted explains it far better than I can. Percentage terms the advantage of aero equipment is greater at faster speeds. But over a set distance, as the slower rider is out for longer; the actual time savings is greater for the slower rider…

Agreed.

Bates is right, it’s too early too wear one without looking like a total fuckwit. Also, don’t get me started on the industry’s shift to aero. Weight was bullshit, but aero is another kettle of fish. If you have never spent time in a wind tunnel you have no business buying aero shit under aero justification. If you want to buy shit for the sake of buying shit, and play into the bike industry’s fucked up, twenty five year long mind game, go fucking crazy. Or, if you want to look like a an omlette head (alla CC) you should let no man stand in your way.

Further to what Dayne said, fuck aero, and, further to FOA’s aero circle jerk, fuck that chocolate, Freddo is where it is at.

pretty sure #notvegan.

Phew… Looks like I am one of probably 100 people in the country who can keep their aero gear!

View from the control room at the Monash Wind tunnel.

My bike being fitted to the test jig.

Some of the helmets we had for testing.

There are other issues at play there which I won’t get into.

dalai win, it seems

Sitting in front of a fan with a helmet on indoors with science people is far from a win.
Especially when the data you collect says that the slower you go the more you gain.

Dayne - you own a set of enve smarts yes???

Casco speed airo is my pick for vented tt lids - on a new phone and dont yet know how to copy links, just google it (I know veledromeshop have em)

This is simplifying the data/report a little too much. On the 10km TT test The slower rider technically saves more seconds but their percentage of time saved is less than that of the faster rider.
I don’t think aero is the most important thing out their by any means but there are gains to be had. A good bike fit and training properly/smart will do more than a fancy helmet though.
Genuine question, if you’re cycling competitively, already training as much and as smart as you can what’s wrong with trying to gain extra advantages in other areas?

That’s my exact point I guess,
I’m all for aero if you’re on the limit but for Tuesday track training or weekend crits I don’t think it’s really needed.
Hell if I was super fast I’d rock the kask or giro in a heart beat

that uvex is hanging on my wall at home. when were these tests done?

From 2008 a.davis12. I was one of three people who signed up for the first session when the Monash tunnel was opened up to individuals.

these aero helmets should not be worn anywhere you would not wear a skinsuit or run a disc wheel

TC: i wore an aero (full sperm shape) helmet when i did the fixed.org hour…

with my usual baggy shorts etc.

i think jase should buy one