Heavymetal's commuter bike manifesto

I can’t really see that happening.

If your foot got stuck in there with shoes it’d get chewed by up by the teeth anyways. Does that ever happen? hmmmm… very unlikely unless you ride like a hack

Hasn’t been a problem thus far, but thanks for your concern

I’d never ride in thongs, ever since I saw my cousin put his foot down when we were riding BMX’s as kids, and the front of his thong folded back… and his big toe scraped along the bitumen.

That is a seriously nice looking machine. A really nice outfit indeed!!

Dabbing ain’t my style :smiley:

"You ride fixed in thongs?! is it just me who thinks that thats a bit fkn retarded? I mean surely thats a recipe for disaster - bare feet so close to an uncovered crankset running fixed. "

The motorcylists over here only wear a wifebeater, shorts and thongs so on a bicycle that is actually pretty conservative

I have done this going for a surf as a kid never ridden in thongs since,
Pain was crazy and could not put a shoe on for weeks.

Years ago, my friend’s big brother caught his finger in between in between the chain and chainring, whilst cleaning it. Clipped it straight off… (shudders)

yeah, gypsy, it will happen if your wearing shoes too, agreed, but it’d be much worse without. No more big toe. And trying dancing without one of those :wink:

Wet weather commuter. Early 70s (?) Geoffrey Butler.

Got the frame/fork/crankset for a song. Added Cinelli bars/stem, the awesome Tektro levers (best bike part ever?), mismatched brakes (front Mafac with “Porteur rack” that’s actually smaller than most small racks), mismatched rims, Sturmey Archer 3 speed rear, two TA chainrings operated by Cyclo Benelux shifter. Ultegra rear derailleur is just a chain tensioner.

AYHSMR(od)

Btw, If anyone’s got a 44 tooth outer TA ring: hit me up, please. Can trade/pay.

Dry weather commuter. Late 70s Cecil Walker. Shimagnolo (Campy 8 speed shifters/derailleurs with Shimano 7 speed freehub/cassette). Feels good, man.

Hey,

I was not sure where to post this but this seems the best option.

I am looking at doing a tour of Southern Italy of 2-3 weeks in August (I am in Milan currently) and I have a few questions:

• What is a decent website to begin reading. I am reading through “Bicycle Touring 101” now.

• How many kilometres would be considered an average per day. I am thinking staying in hotels and pensione’s each night so I need to work out distances between towns for my route.

• What wheel/tyre size/type? I can presume the roads will be asphalt with the possibility of hitting up the gravel.

• Clip-in shoes or straps?

• Panniers and all the rest that you can recommend from personal experience.

I think that is everything.

Cheers,

Blake

Loving the tourers on here and Sir Kevs sturmey 6 speed is a work of art.

Long Haul Trucker…Sugino Touring cranks with 105…Tubus rack and all Carradice ‘luggage’

I like that LHT^^

Finished a bike for my dad today. Frame I got off Ev for a case of Coopers, old wheels off my Litage, Sunrace shifter, plus bits and pieces I had lying around. 1x7, sugino cranks with a 46t ring.

I’ll upload my mum’s new mixte in the next couple of days.

A pic of my tourer on Drumocktar pass in the Scottish highlands, about 400 kms into a 2500 km tour of europe in July and August last year.
](http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoonz75/5657033121/)[/IMG]

Bought on ebay in london and fully rebuilt by myself
Unknown 531st tourer frame, late 80s or early 90s vintage bead blasted and clear powder coated
full deore dx groupset 7spd with triple as came with bike
bar end shifters
cantilever brakes
velocity deep Vs laced to original 36h deore dx hubs
Schwalbe marathon tyres 28c
massload fully adjustable rack carrying ortlieb panniers and carradice bar bag.

I guess this is no longer my SSCX bike… It’s now more-or-less my wet weather commuter/pub bike that has the potential to hit the trails with a tyre change and a few minor adjustments.

One One - Il Pompino Frame/Fork
Gipiemme Techno416 wheelset ridden SS
FSA SL-K Carbon crankset w/ceramic bearings (39-16 gearing)
Shimano 105 spd-SL’s
FSA K-Force Carbon MTB risers
ControlTech Estro Stem
Token Sealed Bearing HeadSet
Avid Speed Dial levers
Avid SingleDigit V-Brakes
FSA GAP alloy seatpost
Prologo ‘Nago’ saddle
Serfas Drifter 32mm Tyres
Planet Bike ‘Cascadia’ Fenders

I put drops and gears on my commuter. I would like to say it was necessary as the commute was getting longer, panniers were getting heavier and the knees were getting weaker. But I was getting a bit bored with the old setup, and the images of the wet weather roadies at the NAHBS were praying on my mind. With a few changes it is as good as a new bike.

Are those bars nitto noodles or randonneurs or something? I really like the shape.

Awesome photo! What is touring in the highlands like? When I head back to Inverness next year I was thinking of doing a couple long rides/ a lap of the ness. Any advice on great places to go?

Touring in the highlands? Wet. And sometimes a little cold. But stunningly beautiful. Watch out for midgies if you intend doing some wild camping. You may luck in with the weather and get day after day of sunshine but be prepared for rain. There are wild raspberries growing everywhere which make a great excuse to pull over and have a rest.

Well everywhere seems pretty nice, the east coast is apparently significantly drier than the west cost but colder. I used Sustrans maps for the trip. These are fairly good and you get taken down mostly quiet back roads and lanes but the terrain is usually up or down - no flat anywhere and some of the routes take you off road so be prepared. My 28c schwalbe marathons were up to the task.

I’ll have to review my route and get back to you to recall anywhere overly spectacular as I enjoyed the vast majority of my trip but there’s plenty of distilleries about so they could make a great out and back.