The 'what you've done to your bike today' thread

+1 to leaving tube pumped overnight, big help.

Mounted a wider freehub body onto a 6400 rear hub and redished the rim. So now I can run 10s on a 126mm rear spaced frame that I don’t want to cold set.

I haven’t been able to find tubes that size in my boxes of crap. I did find a 29 x 1.75-2.0" tube, so will see if I can slip it into the 35mm tires without dramas.

You’re going to be in a world of hurt at the slightest puncture. It just will not seal. It’s hard enough getting punctures to seal on proper MTB tyres.
Just my 2c based on my and friends’ experience doing road and road+ tubeless

Counterpoint: road tubeless works great. Haven’t had a puncture that won’t seal on various 28mm schwalbes.
Haven’t used tubeless runny arses.

Spacing/dishing success!

1 Like

Well, after a night with a tube in, I managed to deflate the tire, kept one bead in place, take the tube out, pop in a tubeless valve, ghetto compressor the tire on, remove valve insert, top up with sealant, floor pump it up and get the sealant to seal the minor leak around the valve.

Leaving it overnight to see how much sir it loses while the other wheel has the tube in it. Repeat again tomorrow.

Is that 10 cogs on a tricolour hub? I don’t even…

1 Like

Well, FH-6402 came with an 8sp free hub, so that’s not that outrageous? Machining it to take an 11sp cassette, that’s outrageous!

Anything beyond 8 speed is outrageous to me

I’m saving my 28H 6402 with the bigger freehub for a rainy day. This 6400 had a 6s freehub body, the spoke holes are starting to pull a little so I wanted to at least test a theory. 10s on 126, chain clearance ok, rim centred, job done.

don’t be a curmudgeon

1 Like

Just putting this out there - nx 12 speed should work if 10 speed does.

Second tire sorted. Leaving overnight to confirm it is sealed and then off for a small ride tomorrow to test them out.

Kinda, sorta, completely ripped my derailleur off the MTB (last weekend).
IMG_20200502_162017200
Snapped a spoke, and it got caught up in the RD. Didn’t seem to affect the hanger (really wish it had snapped instead, because I have a spare already).

So now while awaiting a new RD to be delivered, and looking for replacement straight pull spokes, I figured it was time to refresh the rest of the drivetrain (sans chainring which is fine). New cassette, new chain, new shifter cable + housing… ahhh what the hell… fork service and new rear wheel while I’m at it because I don’t trust the old one anymore. Now waiting for more parts, and hoping a wheel doesn’t take too long.

2 Likes

Put some WTB Senderos (650x47) on the Curve (removing the 48mm Gravelking SKs).

Then I rode the hell out of it in the mud. The Senderos are fantastic tyres in winter conditions. The Gravelkings wash out too easily in sloppy conditions. Better for summer.

Then I hosed it down at the carwash, and took this photo.

3 Likes

Been incredibly busy at work the last week so I didn’t have time to touch the mini-velo project until this weekend while brewing. Finally finished all the frame cleaning and most of the wheel work. Hubs/cogs went from completely black and caked with grease to bright shiny metal. Went over the frame with a fine rubbing compound to try and buff out some of the scuffs and lighter scratches. Put a nice shine back into the paint. Now I just need to grease everything/replace bearings where necessary and put it all back together.

I was thinking getting about Senderos for my Polyvalent.
Though if I do that, I’d want a second set of wheels so I could just swap out wheels rather than fuck around swapping out tubeless tires.

But then I figure, if I’m going to spend dollars on wheels, I may as well spend a bit more and just buy a mountain bike.

Anybody selling a 29r or 27.5 hardtail?

Just get a Marino and build it up, custom steel frame for bugger all $ and build it up to your own spec/budget, I think their lead times have blown out a little but apparently they are getting some more workers back on the floor.

Almost finished the 1A:

1 Like