Winter / rain bikes, fenders, tyres, lights and all that jazz.

For those interested Lumotec Cyo Premium now back in stock at Bike24

Just finished maiden voyage with 3N80 -> Cyo Premium

Up the Koonung/ Mullum Mullum Creek Trails and back and this thing is awesome, even better than the Saferide

So im thinking of adding some fenders to the bike on wet days only,
How are these things? mock fitted some at work today and they seem god but a little short on the front and rear will they stop water spraying in my shoes?
https://ecom1.planetbike.com/7017.html

I used a set of SKS raceblades, which are pretty much the same thing. I didn’t like them. Full coverage or bust. look into the PDW full metal fenders.

The race blades work fine for me, but I live in Melbourne, only put them on in the last 2 of 15 years commuting and it rarely rains and if its really shitty I run to work.

I have them. Have used them on the Cannondale Rack and SKS Raceblades on my wife’s bike. The front doesn’t really do anything, you’ll still get wet feet. The rear stops you getting a wet arse, but nothing a clip on like a Zefal Flamingo won’t do. Easy to get on and off, but not amazing. Better off doing what Sime did with the PDW ones.

I don’t think I will fit a pdw, I have bugger all clearance but will check tomorrow, it’s mainly to keep my but and bike a bit cleaner and was hoping dry feet, I will only clip them on when it’s wet so pdw SRAM a bit of a pain

I feel SKS have started doing a quick clip on full length fender but maybe I’m imaging things. Have also used the short RaceBlades and can attest to them being pretty useless.

feet still get wet from road spray and your drive train still gets smashed from the fender channeling all the rear wheel spray straight down towards the BB… Don’t get me wrong, they are better than nothing and keep your arse dry, but after using the PDW full metal fenders they are pretty average in comparison.

But I live in Melbourne, it rarely rains, when it does its not much, why have a Seattle style setup for 10-20 days a year?

I live in Melbourne too. For inclement weather when it can be clear on your AM commute and pissing down on your PM commute, protecting your drivetrain and simply just doing a proper job of things with a solid setup that’s going to ride well in all weather and isn’t going to slip about when you go over cobbles or potholes, or need to be re-aligned due to a shitty rubber tie down, blah, blah, blah…

If you actually ride in all weather, Melbourne’s unpredictable rainfall easily warrants their use.

errrr ftfy

The problem is I was going to put these on my race/training nice bike as I can’t see myself building a rain/comuter bike any time soon and I ride my good bike to work as a comuter so I can train after work,
I just don’t get shy the ones I tried are cut so bloody short

Just for a comparison historically, Melbourne has 100 days with more than 1mm of rain Brisbane has 132, Melbourne has average of 649mm of rain Brisbane has 1149mm.

Given the fickle nature of melbournes weather a really wet commute is pretty rare.

But that’s history maaan.

It doesn’t mean anything for the future.

When I first moved to Melbourne 20 years ago this month, my first winter was bitterly cold, it even snowed in some suburbs, not just the dandenongs. Winters aren’t as cold or wet it seems, and the long term forecast by the BOM this year is for warmer than average day and night time temps. I haven’t looked at the rainfall outlook. You’d be better off asking user stevezero about possible flooding.

the fact is, when it rains, having a feckin mudguard isn’t going to help. Sometimes you get wet. That’s about all that is at stake here.

i like running a Rear raceblade on my KEN, the PDW ones are awesome, but i have a tight clearance setup on most bikes and still like riding 25mm tyres, so i deal with a bit of front spray, its also nice for super commuters that are drafting behind as they dont get soaked, I’m good like that.

this set up was a huge hit and talking point in france, that and the fact the decals had a kangaroo on it.

Thanks hmc I’ll take your advice and get wet,
But I may just out a little fender on to keep a bit cleaner.
I guess I was after too much all I wanted was light weight carbon full coverage aero fenders that are cheap, look good and fit in less than a minute.

Industrial designers take note

I was thankful for you and Benzy having full length guards (crudcatchers) when riding back along Warby trail that time it pissed down. Everytime I got on your wheels, which was most of the time, It meant not having a face full of grit.